Submitted by JJ Stolz, Hospitality and Campus Restaurants marketing manager
PLU scones have been on the menu for more than 20 years. Their warm, fresh-from-the-oven appeal have made them a symbol of our unique approach to hospitality on campus.
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (or all-purpose gluten-free flour)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (chilled)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoons vanilla
- Coarse sugar (for decorating)
- Extras: white chocolate chips or apricots
For vegan substitutes, try these:
- Vegan butter or vegan margarine for butter
- Coconut cream for heavy cream (or your vegan creamer of choice)
- Flax seeds for the eggs // To replace one large egg, combine 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of water. Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes before adding your “flegg” to dough.
- Prep15 m
- Cook15 m
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk them together.
- Cut in the butter (you may add extras such as white chocolate chips and dried apricots now).
- In a separate bowl, stir together the cream, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and work only until moistened.
- Place the dough onto a well-floured work surface and knead very lightly.
- Divide into 6-inch discs that are 1-inch thick. Cut into 4 wedges and place on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the wedges with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 325º F for 12-15 minutes.