Submitted by Laree Winer, associate director for student success
Courtesy of The Mister and the Lady’s Catering, here’s the recipe the Mister uses.
Jumbo Shrimp Marinade
- 24 jumbo shrimp (1 1/2 – 2 pounds), peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle peppers, plus 1-2 teaspoons of the juice from the can
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 canned chipotle peppers, minced, plus 1-2 teaspoons of the juices from the can
- Prep30 m
- Cook5-6 m
- Prepare the shrimp: Rinse the shrimp under cold running water, then blot dry with paper towels. Place the cilantro, garlic and chipotle with its juices in a non-reactive mixing bowl and toss to mix. Stir in the olive oil and lime juice, season with salt and cracked pepper to taste. Add the shrimp and let them marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for about 30 minutes, or longer for a deeper flavor.
- Prepare the cocktail sauce: Place the ketchup, orange juice, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce and chipotle(s) with their juices in a non-reactive mixing bowl and whisk to mix. Taste for seasoning and add more lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook: Thread 3-4 shrimp onto a skewer and grill 2 minutes per side or until pink in color and firm to the touch. Use wood chips to produce a smoky flavor. Serve warm or cold with the cocktail sauce.