General Education Program (GenEd) Element
The GenEd element of four semester hours in philosophy may be satisfied with any course offered except for PHIL 233: Formal Logic.
The initial course in philosophy is customarily PHIL 121, PHIL 125, or a 200-level course that provides a more focused topic but is still at the introductory level (PHIL 220, 223, 228, 230, 238, 253). The 300-level courses are suited for students with particular interests who are capable of working at the upper-division level. Courses offered through correspondence, on-line, and independent studies are not accepted to meet the general education program element requirement in philosophy.
BACHELOR OF ARTS DEGREE
Major in Philosophy
Minimum of 32 semester hours, including:
- PHIL 233, 499
- One course from: PHIL 331, 333, 334
- One course from: PHIL 335, 336, 338
- On approval of the department, one course (4 semester hours) in another field of study may be used for a double major in philosophy if it has a direct relationship to the student’s philosophy program. Transfer students will normally take 16 or more of their 32 hours at PLU. Students intending to major in philosophy should formally declare this with the department chair and choose a departmental advisor.
- Students must be a declared philosophy major in order to be eligible for departmental scholarships.
In addition to the above requirements for the major:
- PHIL 493: Honors Research Project, including an honors thesis written under the supervision of one or more faculty members and presented to the department.
- Completion of the departmental reading program of primary sources. Honors majors in philosophy are expected to complement their regular courses by reading and discussing three or four important works under the personal supervision of department faculty. The reading list should be obtained at an early date from the department chair. It is best that the reading program not be concentrated into a single semester, but pursued at a leisurely pace over an extended period.
- At least a 3.30 grade point average in philosophy courses, including at least a B in PHIL 493.
16 semester hours, including at least 4 upper-division hours
For transfer students, at least 8 semester hours must be taken at PLU. Non-PLU courses must be approved by the department chair.