Making the Most of Our Resources
While drop-in visitors are always welcome in the Writing Center, to be sure that a consultant is available, it's best to make an appointment in advance by calling 535-8709 or by stopping by Library 220 to sign up. For shorter pieces of writing, consultations run anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. For longer papers, you can schedule multiple one-hour blocks, but not back to back.
Hours of operation vary from semester to semester. See the door of the Writing Center, Library 220, for hours each semester.
Here are some tips for getting the most out of the PLU Writing Center:
- Bring your assignment description with you.
- Play an active role in the session by asking questions and contributing insights.
- Bring papers well in advance of the due date.
- Keep track of what your consultant says and apply that advice to future papers.
- Use the Writing Center as a time management tool: come in early at the pre-writing stage, and come back with various drafts.
- Bring your text on a computer disc-for easy revision during or after a session (Note: We now have computers available in the center for use during or after sessions.)
- Utilize our handbooks and writers' resources, even when you aren't working with a consultant.
What to Expect:
- While we will not proofread or correct texts, we will work with student writers to help them learn proofreading and editing strategies.
- We will not second-guess the grade a paper will receive.
- Although we will not write papers for students, we will help writers brainstorm for topics, discuss ways to expand or narrow existing topics, help with organization, etc.
- We will not divulge the content of our sessions to anyone other than the writer.