Making the Most out of Our Resources
While drop-in visitors are always welcome in the Writing Center, to be sure that a consultant is available, it's best to make an appointment in advance by calling 535-8709 or by stopping by Library 220 to sign up. For shorter pieces of writing, consultations run anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. For longer papers, we suggest two-hour time blocks.
Here are some tips for getting the most out of the PLU Writing Center:
- Bring your assignment description with you.
- Play an active role in the session by asking questions and contributing insights.
- Bring papers well in advance of the due date.
- Keep track of what your consultant says and apply that advice to future papers.
- Use the Writing Center as a time management tool: come in early at the pre-writing stage, and come back with various drafts.
- Bring your text on a computer disc-for easy revision during or after a session (Note: We now have computers available in the center for use during or after sessions.)
- Utilize our handbooks and writers' resources, even when you aren't working with a consultant.
What to Expect:
- While we will not proofread or correct texts, we will work with student writers to help them learn proofreading and editing strategies.
- We will not second-guess the grade a paper will receive.
- Although we will not write papers for students, we will help writers brainstorm for topics, discuss ways to expand or narrow existing topics, help with organization, etc.
- We will not divulge the content of our sessions to anyone other than the writer.