In order to meet your informational needs, this page has been designed for you to explore independently. Extensive resources are available, both on campus and online.
There are a variety of books selected by several of the Counseling Center staff that are on permanent reserve in the library. You can view the selection of titles on this books page.
Several series of Relaxation Response CD’s are also available for check out at the PLU Library. On the PLU on-line library catalog, select “Course Reserves/Lute Library”, and in the “Course/Dept.” drop-down box they are listed under “CC: Counseling Center”.
- Anxious to Please: 7 revolutionary practices for the chronically nice
- The Body Keeps the Score: brain, mind, and body in the healing of trauma
- Courage to Grieve
- Emotional Intelligence: why it can matter more than IQ
- It Didn’t Start with You: how inherited family trauma shapes who we are…
- Letting Go of Stress: four effective techniques for relaxation and stress reduction
- Mother’s Who Can’t Love: a healing guide for daughters
- OCD Workbook
- Power of Habit
- Roadmap to Resilience: a guide for military, trauma victims and their families
- When Perfect isn’t Good Enough
Available Apps (some free, some with paid plans or subscriptions)
- MY3 – lets you stay connected when you are having thoughts of suicide
- Headspace – experience the benefits of meditation anytime, anywhere.
- Buddhify – mindfulness meditation on the go.
- MyLife – Slay your stress, get more sleep or find your calm with short mindfulness activities tuned to your emotions.
- Calm – Sleep more. Stress less. Live better.
- Insight Timer – 55,000 free guided meditations and music tracks.
- The Mindfulness App – Meditation for Everyone.
- Self-help Anxiety Management (SAM) – help you track your anxiety and learn how to manage it.
- Relax Melodies – Sleep to your own beat. Endless Relaxation, Sleep & Meditation.
- Take a Break! at Meditation Oasis – Guided Meditations for Stress Relief.
- Smiling Mind – Help bring balance to your life.
Alcohol / Substance Abuse
- Online Alcohol Screening
- Start Your Recovery
- Al-Anon Electronic/Virtual Meetings
- Celebrate Recovery – a Christ-centered recovery program
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America
- Freedom From Fear – Anxiety and Depression Resource Site
- What do you want to know about depression? – Healthline
- Confidential Depression Screening Test – Mental Health America
- Depression Screening (PHQ-9) – Veterans Affairs
Grief, Loss, or Death Issues
- Gender Alliance of the South Sound
- Gender Spectrum
- Family Acceptance Project
- Ingersoll Gender Center
- Rainbow Center in Tacoma
- Trans Lifeline
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health
- Cedar River Clinics
- Queen Anne Medical Associates, PLLC
- Seattle Area Support Groups & Community Center
- Seattle Counseling Service
Support with Political Outcomes
Post Traumatic Stress
- Washington Department of Veterans Affairs (click the link for “All PTSD Counselors”)
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- * Smartphone and mobile apps
- The JED Foundation
- American Association of Suicidology
- National Strategy for Suicide Prevention
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- Youth Suicide Prevention Program
- Suicide Awareness Voices of Education
- Authentic Happiness
- Mind Body Medical Institute – Massachusetts General Hospital
- Need to relax? Take a break to meditate (video)
- Positive Psychology Center
Transition to College
- Set to Go: Transition of Care Guide – transitioning mental health / medical support from high school to college
- Parent / Caregiver resources – support for parents/caregivers as their student transitions to college
Other Miscellaneous Resources
Below are additional resources, some with links to off-campus sources.
24-Hour Help Is Available
Pierce County Sexual Assault Center
Toll Free: 800-756-7273
Pierce County Domestic Violence Helpline
Toll Free: 800-764-2420
Help Is Available On Campus
Help Is Available On Campus
Bias Incident Response Team
Students who experience or are a bystander to bias at PLU are encouraged to utilize the Bias Incident Response Team.
Center for Diversity, Justice, and Sustainability
The Center for Diversity, Justice, and Sustainability is a community that explores and celebrates issues of intersectional identity and social justice.
Proactive Care Services
Check out these videos created by Counseling Center counselors! The Proactive Care video series will be an ongoing project, designed to bring self-help topics to a larger audience, on demand.
Keep an eye out as new topics will be added throughout the semester!