Innovation. Challenge. Community.
- The Northwest's Premier Low-Residency MFA in Creative Writing. Join a community of independent writers—an atmosphere in which your work will flourish.
- An innovative three-year, four-residency program provides a high-quality experience at a more leisurely pace, perfect for busy professionals and those who wish to take time to develop their work's fullest potential.
- Distinguished faculty for discerning writers. Work with outstanding writers, editors, and special guests—a faculty drawn from all over the country.
- A unique “Outside Experience” component allows you to design a writing experience to enhance your own skills and projects.
- Your final thesis can contain work in multiple genres. Many of our faculty members have expertise in more than one genre, and can mentor participants who seriously work in multiple genres.
- Selectivity. The people who are selected for this program are adults with established writing habits, prior literary achievement, and enthusiastic and critical reading habits. Your colleagues in the program will challenge and encourage you.
- Ten years of distinction. The Rainier Writing Workshop has a proven record of accomplishment by its faculty and participants.
- Magnificent summer weather in the shadow of Mount Rainier, accessible to Puget Sound/Olympic Peninsula recreation areas and Seattle's urban culture