Catalog 2012-2013

Evaluation of Credits

The Registrar’s Office evaluates all transfer records and provides advising materials designed to assist students to complete university requirements. These materials include a summary of core requirements completed and the total hours accepted. Individual schools and departments determine which courses satisfy major requirements.

The university awards credit to high school students for certain courses completed before high school graduation. The university may award college credit to high school students who have completed courses in approved programs, as described below.

  • Advanced Placement Program (AP): Students who complete advanced placement or credit toward graduation through the examination program of the College Board may receive credit for such courses. Inquiries should be addressed to the Registrar’s Office.
  • International Baccalaureate (IB): A maximum of 30 semester hours may be granted for completion of the IB Diploma. A maximum of four semester hours per course may be granted for courses identified on an IB Certificate if a grade of 4 or higher is awarded. Students are advised to contact the Registrar’s Office for specific details.
  • Running Start Program: Accepted students who have completed courses under the Washington State Running Start Program are considered first-year students with advanced standing. Students who participate in this program will be awarded college credit in a manner consistent with PLU’s policy on transfer of credit from other institutions.
  • Other Programs: Students who have completed college courses while in high school may receive credit in a manner consistent with PLU’s policy on transfer of credit from other institutions. The university reserves the right to make decisions on an individual basis.
  • Cambridge International Examinations (A-Level exams): A maximum of 30 semester hours may be granted to completion of Cambridge International Examinations. Students must earn a passing grade (C or better) to earn credit. No credit will be awarded for AS-Level or O-Level exams. Students are advised to contact the Registrar's Office for specific details.

Transfer of Credits from Other Universities

Courses must be listed in the official college catalog, be a part of the regular college curriculum of a regionally accredited college or university, and be posted on an official college or university transcript.

  • Courses completed with a grade of C- or higher at other regionally accredited colleges or universities normally will be accepted for graduation credit with passing grades and will not be calculated into the PLU grade point average. Courses from all institutions are subject to course-by-course evaluation.
  • A student may transfer a maximum of 96 semester or 144 quarter hours. Of these, the maximum transferable from a two-year school is 64 semester or 96 quarter hours.
  • Students who complete the direct transfer associate degree (DTA) from an accredited Washington state community college before matriculation at PLU will be admitted with junior standing and will have satisfied all general education program elements except for four hours in religion (from Christian Traditions), four hours in Perspectives on Diversity, the two to four hour senior seminar requirement, and the College of Arts and Sciences requirement. The DTA does not automatically satisfy the mathematics or foreign language entrance requirements.

Other Educational Experiences

Credits earned in non-accredited schools are not transferable. Students who have matriculated at Pacific Lutheran University may petition a department or school to waive a particular requirement on the basis of previous non-accredited course work or may petition a department or school to receive credit by examination.

  • The university allows up to 20 semester hours of United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI)/Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) credit, up to 20 semester hours for military credit, and up to 30 semester hours of College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) credit, providing the total of the three does not exceed 30 semester hours. Official transcripts bearing American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations should be submitted for evaluation.
  • For information on the College Level Examination program (CLEP), refer to the Credit by Examination section under Academic Procedures.
  • The university does not grant credit for college-level General Equivalency Diploma (GED) tests.
Last Modified: August 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM