Did you know that most jobs are obtained through a personal recommendation or referral? Your network of mentors and advisors can play an invaluable role in helping connect you with internship opportunities or land that first job right out of college.
You might find yourself wondering how to take the first step to developing a professional network. Start by thinking about who you already know:
- Friends and their families
- PLU faculty, staff and alumni
- Members of clubs, athletic teams, community organizations or faith communities
- Teachers, advisors, neighbors and coaches
- Former work colleagues
LinkedIn is the leading professional network on the web, enabling you to:
- Connect professionally with faculty, advisors and peers
- Find new opportunities for internships and full time positions
- Manage what potential employers learn about you from the Internet
Mentors and advisors often develop from existing relationships. Cultivating these connections can be easy and fun. Build the relationship with the advisors and mentors in your life by sharing your career curiosities or aspirations with them. Ask them for advice or guidance. Mentors and advisors can offer incredible insight into career pathways, industry trends and how to best position yourself to land your dream job.