PLU Internship Fund
The PLU Internship Fund is intended to provide financial assistance to current students participating in internships during the spring and summer semesters. Please note, the internship must be unpaid.
Recognizing the inherent costs of participating in an internship, the PLU Internship Fund provides support to ensure all students can participate in this form of learning. Students may apply for up to $500.00 in funding to support expenses from their internship experience. Funding is to be used to supplement one’s own resources to offset the cost of expenses related to the internship, including (but not limited to):
- Housing & food
- Gas and transportation to and from the internship
- Academic credit fees
- Required gear (such as a uniform or work boots)
- Program fees & books
- Internet costs for virtual internships
The PLU Internship Fund was made possible by the J&J Fredricksen Fund in Memory of Bill Crooks
Eligibility Requirements for Funding:
- Must be a current undergraduate or graduate student currently enrolled full-time at Pacific Lutheran University
- Selected internships must meet the National Association of Colleges and Employers’ definition of an internship and legal guidelines set by the Department of Labor.
- Applicant must have been offered and accepted an internship prior to submitting an application for the Fund
- Selected internships must occur during the term in which the student applies for funding. For example, to receive internship funding in Spring, the internship must occur during spring semester. For summer internships, the student must be enrolled for Fall 2023 semester.
- The internship may be for academic credit or not for academic credit, eligible for both full-time or part-time students
- International and undocumented students are eligible to apply
- The review process for applications begins in January and will continue to be reviewed on an ongoing basis until no more funding is available.
- If selected, disbursement of the award will be in coordination with the PLU Office of Student Financial Services.
- Funding may be considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service. Please consult a tax professional.
The application is available here and includes a required proposal, outline of expenses, and documentation of expenses. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, therefore, it is advantageous to apply as soon as possible.
Every recipient of PLU Internship Funding is required to submit a final report reflecting on their experience. This report is due at the end of the term in which you receive funding. Please email it to Karmen Baldwin at email@example.com. In the two-page report, include the following information:
- Reflect on your tasks and achievements – what did you experience while there? Walk the reader through a particular day, discuss the way your role developed throughout your time there, and/or your most significant contribution to the site.
- Explain your learning objectives when starting the internship. Did you achieve them? If so, how? Were there any skills you gained that you were not expecting to learn?
- Reflect on how the internship has clarified your professional goals. What are your plans moving forward (with the organization and/or your future academic and professional pursuits)?
- Explain how the funding impacted your ability to participate in the internship.