PLU Internship Fund
WE ARE NOT LONGER ACCPETING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS FUND; IT HAS CLOSED FOR THE 2022 YEAR.
The PLU Internship Fund is intended to provide financial assistance to Pacific Lutheran University students who are participating in internships during the spring and summer semesters.
The internship is an opportunity to gain experience and enhance your educational goals in a particular industry, job function, or organization under the guidance of a supervisor. Recognizing the inherent costs of participating in an internship, the PLU Internship Fund provides support to ensure all students can participate in this form of learning.
Students may apply for up to $1,000 in funding to support expenses from their internship experience.
The PLU Internship Fund was made possible by the J&J Fredricksen Fund in Memory of Bill Crooks
Eligibility Requirements for Funding:
- Must be a current undergraduate or graduate student currently enrolled full-time at Pacific Lutheran University
- Selected internships must meet the National Association of Colleges and Employers’ definition of an internship and legal guidelines set by the Department of Labor.
- Applicant must have been offered and accepted an internship prior to submitting an application for the Fund
- Selected internships must occur during the term in which the student applies for funding. For example, to receive internship funding in Spring, the internship must occur during spring semester. For summer internships, the student must be enrolled for Fall 2022 semester.
- The internship may be paid or unpaid
- The internship may be for academic credit or not for academic credit
- The internship may be full-time or part-time
- International students may apply
- Undocumented students are eligible to apply
- Funding is to be used to supplement one’s own resources to offset the cost of expenses related to the internship, including housing, food, transportation to and from the internship, academic credit fees, required gear (such as scrubs, work boots), program fees and internet costs for virtual internships. Other expenses may be eligible.
- Applications are reviewed and awards are provided on a rolling basis. This means that availability of funds will decline over time, but you may apply at any time.
- If selected, disbursement of the award will be in coordination with the PLU Office of Student Financial Services
- Funding may be considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service. Please consult a tax professional for further information.
- Every recipient of PLU Internship Funding is required to submit a final report to the Career Advisor, reflecting on their experience. This report is due at the end of the term you receive funding for.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Therefore, it is advantageous to apply as soon as possible. The application is available here and includes a required proposal, outline of expenses, and documentation of expenses.
Every recipient of PLU Internship Funding is required to submit a final report to Career Advisor Karmen Baldwin, reflecting on their experience. This report is due at the end of the term you receive funding for. Please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the 2 page report, include the following information:
- Reflect on your tasks and achievements – what did you experience while there? Walk the reader through a particular day, discuss the way your role developed throughout your time there, and/or your most significant contribution to the site.
- Explain your learning objectives when starting the internship. Did you achieve them? If so, how? Were there any skills you gained that you were not expecting to learn?
- Reflect on how the internship has clarified your professional goals. What are your plans moving forward (with the organization and/or your future academic and professional pursuits)?
- Explain how the funding impacted your ability to participate in the internship.