Alumni & Student Connections connects students with quality internship experiences, liaises with employers to establish learning-centered opportunities, collaborates with alumni to expand access and opportunity, and networks with faculty to provide for-credit opportunities and to enhance student learning.
For students, internship experiences are invaluable at bridging classroom learning in the professional workplace, exploring career goals, gaining hands-on experience, and meaningfully contributing to a company or organization of interest. For employers, interns bring valuable insight, energy, and ideas to new and existing projects and operations.
Search for Internships
Alumni & Student Connections is here to support you as you set goals for obtaining an internship. To schedule an appointment for personalized, one-on-one assistance, or to view current internship openings, log into the Opportunities Board.
Internship Funding and Scholarships
Have you ever wanted to serve as an intern but you didn’t have the financial means to pursue it?
At PLU, we believe all students should have the ability to participate in an internship. Each year Alumni & Student Connections solicits applications from qualified PLU students for the Krise Endowed Internship Fund, the Long Science, Technology & Society Endowed Internship Fund, the Heike A. Phelps Memorial Scholarship.
Definition of an Internship
Alumni & Student Connections relies on the NACE definition of an internship for evaluating experiences. To be considered a legitimate internship by the NACE definition, all of the following criteria must be met:
- The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained in the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
- The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
- The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
- There are clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student’s academic coursework.
- There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
- There is routine feedback by the experienced supervisor.
- There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.