This area of MAV work is important for a couple reasons:
First, we all have women (and men) in our lives that we care for and love. The fact is that since 1 in 4 women is or will be impacted by assault, it impacts the men that love them as well. These issues are clearly not just issues that women have to deal with, we need to be involved.
Second, because the issue that too many men allow the "bad apples" to make us all at some time or other feel the need to say "I'm not one of those guys" is one that we need to take on and oppose openly. We allow the very few among us who control or hurt women to feel powerful, control what others see in us when we walk through a dark parking lot. While women have every right and reason to be afraid, we have an obligation to help create a safer society, and in doing so reclaim the respect of women as safe friends in the world.
- To engage men as partners in the prevention of violence against women
- Tto create and maintain a safe space to discuss issues of masculinity
- Tto support women and men in prevention related efforts -to improve safety through the prevention of gendered violence
- To demonstrate that violence against women is a men's issue too
- To recognize the mis-education regarding masculinity and expand on the definition of masculinity.