HONORARY DEGREES AT PLU
Pacific Lutheran University is committed to thoughtful inquiry, service, leadership, and care in service to other persons, their communities, and the Earth. Honorary degrees celebrate and recognize distinguished persons who advance this mission in their lives, their accomplishments, and their vocations. The university solidifies its reputation as an academic institution committed to excellence by awarding honorary degrees to worthy recipients.
Nominees can come from any profession or walk of life, but should have a record of accomplishment congruent with our mission, a stature that will reflect well on the university, and a life demonstrating the values and ethics that define our community. As befits our university culture, PLU’s process for awarding honorary degrees is collaborative.
- Nominations can be made at any time.
- Students, faculty, staff, administration, members of the Board of Regents, alumni, and members of the general public who have a commitment to the mission of Pacific Lutheran University may submit a nomination.
- Every nomination submitted will use the nomination form found at this link.
- Each nomination for an honorary degree is to be submitted to the Office of the President:
Office of the President
Pacific Lutheran University
12180 Park Avenue S.
Tacoma, WA 98447
- The president will notify the standing University Committee on Honorary Degrees of any nominations received. This committee will consider the merit of each nomination (requesting additional information when necessary) and forward recommended nominations to the appropriate faculty and Board of Regents committees.
- All nominations require the approval of the Faculty Assembly and the Board of Regents.
- Once a nomination is approved, an honorary degree will be awarded at an appropriate opportunity.