HOW TO APPLY
DEADLINES AND APPLICATION TIMELINE
Applications are on rolling basis after the following two priority deadlines:
Priority Deadline #1:
Interviews: November 27 -December 1
Notification: End of December
Priority Deadline #2:
February 1st (also deadline for scholarship and fellowship applications)
Interviews: February 26 -March 2
Notification: End of March
*We continue to accept applications for the Alternative Routes option through May 15th, however we will give priority to applications received by the deadlines.
The application requirements for the MAE Residency Certification, Alternate Routes, and Non-Certification programs are the same – with the exception of the WEST-B/E requirement for non-certification international students.
Beginning September 1, 2017, applications will be processed through GradCAS, a nationwide centralized application service for graduate programs, All official transcripts must be submitted to GradCAS, not PLU.
STEP ONE: Apply online via GradCAS
- Create your application account via the online application portal (preferred browsers are Google Chrome or Firefox)
- Select the following items to start
- Term – The term you plan to start the program
- Institution – Pacific Lutheran University
- Program – The Master of Arts in Education program you are applying for
- Complete all required application questions.
- Provide two references via the online application portal. This will send an email notification to your recommenders to follow a link and submit their letters of recommendation. At least one of these letters should be specific to your experience working with young people.
- Upload resume – Includes employment history; significant academic, professional, and community achievements; honors and awards. Upload your resume via the online application portal.
- Upload application essay – Identify and discuss three values that will guide your educational practice in your classroom. It should be between 500 and 750 words, double spaced, 12 point font. Upload your essay via the online application portal.
- Pay the nonrefundable $55 application fee.
Note: If you need to submit additional documents after submitting the online application, you can email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEP TWO: Submit official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended
- Official transcripts are required to be mailed directly to GradCAS by the issuing institution’s registrar’s office at the address below
GradCAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9217
Watertown, MA 02471
- Have the registrar include the Transcript Request Form which you can download from the Academic History section on your application.
- PLU graduates do not need to send their PLU transcripts unless you apply for another school as well.
- Electronical transcripts are only accepted from Credentials Solutions and Parchment. Be sure to enter GradCAS as the recipient, not PLU. If your school does not offer either of these services, your transcript must be sent by mail.
Note: International transcripts please also see the “Additional Materials for International Applicants” section below.
STEP THREE: Schedule to take the WEST-B*
- Arrange for WEST-B results to be sent to PLU (the PLU code is 225)
- If your SAT or ACT scores qualify you for a waiver, have your official SAT or ACT scores sent to PLU.
- You do not need to take the test at the time you submit the application, but you MUST take and pass the test by the application deadline.
- More information about the WEST-B: http://www.west.nesinc.com/
- *WEST-B not required for international non-certification students.
STEP FOUR: Complete the Endorsement Planning and Reflection Tool
In Washington State, you will have a Residency Teaching Certificate with one or more endorsements on it. Endorsements indicate which particular subject areas and grade levels you are qualified to teach. For example: Elementary Education K8, Visual Arts K-12, or Mathematics 5-12 (a complete list is available here). Washington State requires a content test for every endorsement area (passed by June 1 of start year). We have developed a reflection and planning tool to help you determine which endorsement(s) you would like to pursue.
- Click on this link to download and complete the Endorsement Planning and Reflection Tool (In MS Word format).
- Send your completed form along with the Coursework Review worksheets to email@example.com.
STEP FIVE: Attend interview (by invitation)
STEP SIX: Post-admission requirements (if admitted)
- Must have a passing score (240) on the WEST-E and (220) on the NES (or equivalent) for your intended endorsements by June 1st. You are strongly encouraged to take the test early as candidates may not start the summer without passing scores. World Language applicants must also take the written and verbal portions of the ACTFL.
- You must complete any missing content coursework before starting your student teaching internship in the fall.
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS:
In addition to the documents listed in the above sections, please also submit the following materials:
- International transcripts Evaluation – Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be evaluated by one of the following two agencies for course-by-course conversion and an overall GPA calculation.
- Evaluation report along with the certified copy of your transcripts must be mailed directly to GradCAS by the evaluation agency.
- English translation is also required if the documents are in a language other than English. Translation must be provided by recognized translation services.
- Proof of English proficiency
- Master of Arts in Education Non-Certification program: Minimum TOEFL-iBT score of 88 or minimum IELTS score of 6.5.
- All other programs: Minimum TOEFL-iBT score of 80 or minimum IELTS score of 6.5.
- TOFEL scores must be mailed to PLU directly from the testing institution. The institution code for PLU is 4597.
- We can accept a copy of an IELTS score report as we can verify with the testing agency.
In order to be sent a form I-20, admitted international students must:
- Pay the enrollment deposit
- Submit a Passport picture page
- Submit the Declaration of Finance form and Proof of financial support dated within 12 months.
ONLINE APPLICATION TECHNICAL SUPPORT
If you or your recommenders have any questions or technical problems with the online application portal and recommendation process, status, navigation, missing credentials, etc., please contact GradCAS Customer Service at: 857-304-2042 / firstname.lastname@example.org