Master of Arts in Education - Teacher Preparation
You want to teach. We offer three pathways to becoming a teacher, MAE – Teacher Certification, MAE – Alternative Routes, and MAE – Non-Certification for International Students. All three programs prepare you with a strong theoretical foundation and real classroom experience. Our intense coursework and schedule provides you with rigorous preparation to gain the skills to become an effective teacher and educator.
One Year Master's with Teacher Certification
Intensive program designed to allow students to earn their Master’s and Teaching Certification in just under one year*
- Available for elementary or secondary education
- One year, 12 months coursework, full time program
- Begins each summer in mid-June
- Students attend Summer – Fall – Spring – Summer
- Strong relationships with schools in the South Sound
- One of the top teacher placement rates in the state
*Degrees are awarded in August
Students complete year-long internships in K-12 schools. During their internships, students take on increasing teaching responsibilities from September through January, and then begin student teaching full-time in February.
Alternative Routes to Certification
The Alternative Routes to Certification (ARC) program is a special pathway for career changers from high needs fields (such as math and science) or individuals with prior experience in schools such as paraeducators, substitutes, or conditionally certified teachers.
PLU offers three of the Alternative Routes:
- Route 2 – Currently employed as a paraeducator and seeking to teach subject matter shortage area. The paraeducator position will serve for part of the internship experience.
- Route 3 – Career changers in subject matter shortage areas. Candidates complete an internship in a mentor teacher’s classroom.
- Route 4 – For individuals currently employed in school districts on conditional or emergency substitute certificates.
This Alternative Routes program is available for elementary or secondary education. Certification portion takes about a year. After certification, students have three years to complete MAE coursework.
Non-Certification Option for International Students
- Available for international students only
- Does not lead to WA state teacher certification
- Prepares international students with classroom experience in US schools