All teaching candidates must earn at least one endorsement. Endorsements indicate which content and grade levels you are qualified for and authorized to teach. Elementary education covers grades K-8. Elementary candidates are strongly encouraged to earn an additional endorsement in order to improve job prospects. Some local districts only consider elementary candidates with additional endorsements.
Secondary endorsements cover grades 5-12, middle level endorsements cover grades 5-9, and several endorsements including Special Education, the Performing and Visual Arts, Health/Fitness, Reading, and English Language Learners include grades K-12. Early Childhood Special Education covers birth through 3rd grade. Special Education and ELL may not be earned without a content endorsement.
For the one year Masters program with certification and alternative routes program, candidates must complete all necessary coursework before they begin the program in June, except for candidates looking to earn a Special Education or English Language Learners endorsement. These two endorsements coursework is completed in the first summer of the program.
Click on the endorsement name for the content worksheet which provides an overview of content requirements.
Candidates must pass the appropriate WEST-E/NES test for each endorsement.
Endorsements Available at PLU
- Biology (5-12)
- Chemistry (5-12)
- Chinese (P12)
- Early Childhood Education (P-3) (undergraduates only)
- Early Childhood Special Education (P-3) (undergraduates only)
- Earth & Space Science (5-12)
- Elementary Education (K8)
- English Language Arts (5-12)
- English Language Learners (P12) (Cannot be earned without another content area endorsement such as Elementary Education or a Secondary Education content area)
- French (P12)
- German (P12)
- History (5-12)
- Health and Fitness (P12) (Formerly Physical Education, undergraduate only)
- Japanese (P12)
- Mathematics (5-12)
- Middle Level Humanities (5-9)
- Middle Level Mathematics (5-9)
- Middle Level Science (5-9)
- Music (P12) (endorsements available in General, Choral, and Instrumental, undergraduate only)
- Physics (5-12)
- Reading (P12) (Only for Undergraduate Elementary Education candidates)
- Russian (P12)
- Science (5-12)
- Social Studies (5-12)
- Spanish (P12)
- Special Education (P12) (Cannot be earned without another content area endorsement such as Elementary Education or a Secondary Education content area)
- Theatre Arts (P12)
- Visual Arts (P12)