BACHELOR OF ARTS IN EDUCATION
The Department of Education offers direct admission for the Bachelor of Arts in Education (BAE) program. This allows students to pursue Elementary Education (K-8) at the time they are officially enrolled at PLU. No additional application or interview is necessary for the BAE program. The education program which culminates in a BAE degree and Washington State Teaching certificate begins in fall of your junior year. Current PLU students considering switching majors to pursue education may schedule an appointment with the Admission, Advising and Certification Specialist.
Bachelor of Arts in Education (BAE) Requisites
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.75
- 60 Semester Credits (junior status by start of program).
- Transfer and Running Start students will need an Associate in Arts-Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA) to immediately begin in the BAE program.
- Admission Specific Courses (with C grade or better)
- Psychology 101: Introduction to Psychology
- Writing 101: Writing Seminar
- Math 123: Modern Elementary Mathematics I
- WEST-B (Basic Skills Test for Reading, Mathematics, and Writing) or equivalent SAT/ACT Score (Official SAT/ACT scores must be sent to PLU. Equivalent scores are based on test date.)
- SAT: Reading 500 or 27, Math 515 or 27.5, Writing 490 or 28
- ACT: Reading 22, Math 22, Writing 8 or 23
- Teacher Certification Specific Courses (with C grade or better)
- Math 124: Modern Elementary Mathematics II
- MUSI 341: Music for Classroom Teachers
- KINS 322: Physical Education in the Elementary School
- Elementary Education majors are required to take one Life Science (Biology) and one Physical Science (Chemistry, Geoscience, or Physics). At least one of these courses must have a Lab component.
- Fingerprint Clearance
- Pre-Residency Clearance
- Insurance Liability Waiver
EDUCATION GRADUATE PROGRAMS ADMISSIONS
Deadlines and Application Timeline
Applications are on rolling basis after the following two priority deadlines:
Priority Deadline #1:
Interviews: November 27 -December 1
Notification: End of December
Priority Deadline #2:
February 1st (also deadline for scholarship and fellowship applications)
Interviews: February 26 -March 2
Notification: End of March
*We continue to accept applications for the Alternative Routes option through May 15th, however we will give priority to applications received by the deadlines.