Funding, Scholarships and Research Grants
PLU Financial Aid, Gift Aid and Scholarships apply toward your Semester Study Away program fees. We recommend you also apply for study abroad scholarships.
Start researching possible scholarships early-at least one term to two years prior to when you plan to go abroad. Most scholarship deadlines are well before the actual program application deadline, sometimes a year or more prior to the actual award year. Click here to view an overview of PLU and external funding opportunities.
PLU Study Away Funding
In addition to these PLU awards, check with your academic department to see if there are other sources of funding within your major.
- PLU Global Scholar Award Scholarship for study away students participating in PLU Gateway, Faculty-Led Short-Term, or Featured programs.
- Wang Center Research Grant The Wang Center gives yearly grants to students and faculty who are interested in completing an international research project.
- Loren and MaryAnn Anderson Wang Center Student-Faculty Research Award Supports full-time PLU students who are working with their faculty to conduct advanced research in a global context. Grants in the range of $5,000-$8,000 may be used to support travel and living expenses, as well as research project costs. To apply use the Wang Student-Faculty Team Research Grant application available at the above link.
- Scandinavian Cultural Center Endowed Awards The PLU SCC offers scholarships for study in Scandinavia or faculty-student research on a Scandinavian-related topic.
In addition to PLU and Wang Center scholarships, there are many other scholarship opportunities facilitated by scholarship organizations and other providers outside of PLU. Eligibility and application requirements will vary. These scholarships are not awarded by the Wang Center or PLU. Explore the list of scholarships below and use the links to be directed to the organization’s website.
External Funding Resources
The links below may be useful in your search for funding. Check with the Wang Center or your program sponsor (such as IES Abroad, CIEE, SIT Study Abroad, etc.) about scholarships designated specifically for your program abroad.
- American-Scandinavian Foundation Awards for Research/Study in Scandinavia
- Benjamin Franklin Travel Grant For French double-majors
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship For students receiving Pell Grants
- Boren Awards for International Study For study of critical languages and national security
- Brazil Initiation Scholarship For exploratory research or language study in Brazil
- Bridging Scholarships For study in Japan
- BUTEX For Study in the UK
- DAAD For study in Germany
- Freeman-Asia For study in East or Southeast Asia
- Fund and Seek A platform for students to raise funds online for their upcoming study away program. Find out how you can create your own fundraising website and collect donations from extended networks
- Fund for Education Abroad For those in groups underrepresented in study abroad and those studying in non-traditional locations
- GoEuro.com An international travel company awarding three scholarships of up to €2000 to students doing a study abroad program in Europe
- Go Overseas Scholarship for Study in Ireland
- HI USA Travel Scholarships For use on programs with a service component
- Joe Smith Peacebuilding Award For Social Sciences, Global Studies & IHON students
- NAFSA: Association for International Educators Financial aid information and links
- National Italian American Foundation For students with Italian heritage
- Norwegian American Scholarships Links to funding opportunities for students with Norwegian heritage
- Norwegian Commercial Club For programs in Norway
- Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants For students with a cumulative GPA of 3.75 or higher – all international programs of any duration eligible
- Point Foundation – The National LGBT Scholarship Fund For LGBTQ students
- Pride Foundation Links to funding sources available to LGBTQ students
- Seattle-Nantes Sister City Association For study in Nantes, France
- STA Travel Scholarship For majors in the Arts & Foreign Languages
- WSA’s Cultural Bridge Scholarship For study in Europe
International Funding Search Engines
- MoneyGeek.com: Funding Your Study Abroad
- IIE Passport Study Abroad Funding
- International Scholarships
Have you found a scholarship that’s not on our list? To share additional scholarship resources or suggest updates to this page please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “External Scholarship Resource.”