Why does the Wang Center require an application for study away participation?

This helps the Wang Center and program leadership understand your reasons for wanting to go abroad, goals, needs for your chosen program, and help determine if the program is the right fit for you at this time.

Who can apply?

Sophomores, juniors, seniors in good standing with a minimum GPA requirement by specific program

When do I apply?

By no later than March 15th for Fall, Spring, full Academic Year, and summer

How do I apply? 

PLU semester applications include:

  1. Essays
  2. Faculty Recommendation (This is not a letter of recommendation; it’s a form that a faculty member fills out recommending you to study away. Choose a professor and ask them if they are willing to be your recommender. If they say yes, you’d input their name and email in the study away application, and the recommendation form will be sent to them to complete.)
  3. Professional Recommendation (Gateway programs only) This could be completed by a previous internship or job supervisor, for example. Get in touch with the Semester Program Manager if you have questions or concerns.
  4. $50 Non-Refundable Application Fee
  5. Advising Appointment

Be sure to…

  • Apply by the deadline! March 15th 2020 for any semester program in the following academic year
  • Apply through the program provider (Featured/Approved programs only. Apply through PLU first, except for SIT Study Abroad programs.)

Where do I apply?

Semester Selection Criteria

Acceptance to Featured and Approved semester study away programs may be limited by several factors. In cases where student demand exceeds capacity, the following criteria will be applied in determining the final selection. Students could be placed on a waitlist, with the possibility of later being accepted to the program.

Priority will be given to applicants:

  • Who submit strong applications (see below)
  • Who haven’t studied away for a semester before
  • For Semester rather than full Academic Year
  • Whose academic interests align with the program’s academic themes and opportunities
  • With Major/Minor that requires study away (Global Studies)
  • Of language immersion programs
  • For Gateway over Featured and Approved Semester programs

Qualities demonstrated by strong applicants:

  • Academic readiness
  • Academic fit (i.e. meets Major/Minor/Gen Ed or other personal or professional goals)
  • Motivation, intellectual curiosity, prior engagement with the site or program’s academic goals
  • Responsibility, maturity, patience, flexibility, humor, good judgement, empathy
  • Interpersonal skills, including sensitivity to others’ diverse perspectives and experiences
  • Desire to understand and engage with other cultures
  • Strong Faculty/Professional recommendations

Applicants must:

  • Be in good standing
  • Meet any additional program requirements, if any (such as a language level prerequisite, if applicable)
  • Fulfill GPA requirement (see below)
Program  Cumulative GPA  Requirement Program  Cumulative GPA  Requirement
Chengdu, China  2.7, 3.0 preferred  IAU Aix-en-Provence, France  2.5
Oaxaca, México  3.0  CIEE Costa Rica  2.5
Oslo, Norway  2.7, 3.0 preferred  CIEE Seoul, South Korea  2.5
IHON-Oxford  3.0  SIT Study Abroad 

(select Featured programs)

varies by program,  check website 
Bø/Vestfold, University  of Southeastern Norway 2.7, 3.0 preferred  University of Tasmania  2.5
Trinidad & Tobago  2.7, 3.0 preferred  Victoria University of  


Windhoek, Namibia  2.7, 3.0 preferred  IES Berlin, Milan or Vienna  2.75
ILACA Granada, Spain  2.7, 3.0 preferred  CYA Greece  2.5
GEO London, England  2.5  University of Aberdeen,  


Approved Programs  2.7 minimum, 3.0 strongly preferred 

(each approved program may also have their own GPA requirement)

Who can apply?

Admitted/deposited first-years, sophomores, juniors, seniors with a minimum GPA requirement by specific program

When should I apply?

By no later than April 15th for the following J-Term

How do I apply?

J-Term Applications Include: 

  • $50 Non-refundable Application Fee
  • J-Term Application Questions
  • Study Away Application Essays (2 required, 250 words each)
  • Signature Document: Clearance for Off-Campus Study & Authorization of Responsibility
  • Required Reading: PLU Need Based Scholarships are available
  • Faculty Recommendation (1 required)
    • Send to a faculty member of a previous study away program on which you participated, or to a professor who has taught you in a 3 or 4-credit course. DO NOT request a recommendation from a faculty who will be leading or who is the Program Director of the study away program you are applying for.NOTES:
      • PLU faculty preferred (excludes non-PLU students).
      • Exception for transfer students (community college instructors okay).

Additional Notes for J-Term Applicants:

  • New students to PLU in their first term, may request a recommendation from high school teacher, community college instructor, or PLU Admission Counselor

Where do I apply?