Academic Success Strategies
The Common Reading Program supports new students in learning successful academic behaviors: plan to succeed, expect to be challenged, be prepared and organized, and build relationships.
Plan to Succeed
- Attend class. If unable to attend, communicate with your professor.
- Be prepared to participate in class.
- Bring energy for learning; be interested and engaged.
- Know and follow classroom norms and etiquette.
Expect to be Challenged
- Spend energy and focus on your studies outside of class.
- Read and re-read; write and re-write.
- Be open to constructive criticism.
Be Prepared & Organized
- Bring note-taking materials.
- Bring your books and be familiar with them (scan the Table of Contents, browse through the chapters).
- Study your syllabus and bring a copy to class to note changes.
- Plan to make connections; introduce yourself to faculty & your fellow students.
- Attend your professors’ office hour schedule. Learn how to make an appointment and the preferred contact method (e.g., email, phone, in person).