Summer Research Experience in Translational Neuroscience and Neurological Surgery
Applications for the NIH sponsored Summer Research Experience in Translational Neuroscience and Neurological Surgery program open November 1st, 2023!
If you have an interest in the neurosciences and desire lab experience in neurological biomedical research, please apply!
Applicants chosen to participate in the program will receive stipends of $3,200 over the duration of the 8-week program. (Note: high school or recent high school graduates must be 18 years of age or older by the first day of the program in order to participate due to facility age restrictions). Out of area students will have program sponsored housing (as long as they indicate on their application that they require program sponsored housing) but are responsible for their own meals, transportation to/from Seattle, and local transit.
Program participation includes:
- Eight-week lab placement in one of our neuroscience research labs
- Weekly Neurological Surgery Grand Rounds lectures
- Weekly Neurological Surgery Resident Education Hour discussions
- Weekly neuroscience faculty lectures, specifically developed for the students
- Neurological surgery OR observations (up to 2)
- Neurological surgery clinical shadowing observations (up to 2)
- Student capstone presentation
To date, 185 rising freshmen and college undergraduate students aged 18 and older from 96 different schools from across the U.S. have participated in the program.
Over 35 students from our earlier classes have now been accepted into medical school and other clinical training programs. Many students just entering college have gone on to neuroscience, pre-med studies, medical school or PhD neuroscience programs.
The application period will close on Tuesday, January 2nd, 2024. Application is free.
See the Program Overview NSSSP 2024 for more information.
Please email email@example.com with any questions you may have about the application process.