- Chair of Communication, Media & Design Arts, Associate Professor of Art History
- University Gallery Coordinator
- Ph.D., Art History, University of Texas, Austin, 2006
- M.A., University of Texas, Austin, 1997
- B.A., Art History and German, Hood College, Frederick, MD, 1994
Areas of Emphasis or Expertise
- German art of the Cold War period
- Art History
Heather joined the Department of Art and Design in 2007. She earned her B.A. in Art History and German from Hood College and her M.A. and Ph.D. in Art History from the University of Texas at Austin.
Her specialization is the German art of the Cold War period, and she is interested in all aspects of German cultural and history. Her research and publications are focused on the role of the artist in public discourse in East and West Germany, as well as on the exhibition of contemporary art as a cultural and political force in the Cold War era and today. Her most recent work deals with contemporary art and cultural integration.
In addition to teaching on topics such as gender issues, identity, and memory in modern and contemporary art, Heather is Coordinator of the University Gallery (including the University Gallery Annex and the Karen Hille Phillips Gallery) and manages the University’s Permanent Art Collection.
Students may request a meeting with Dr. Mathews by clicking here.