Major in French & Francophone Studies
36 semester hours, from PLU courses, equivalent transfer courses, or approved study away programs, depending on placement.
Students placing into FREN 201 or 202 will have 4 semester hours waived, achieving the major in 32 semester hours. Students placing into FREN 301 will have 8 semester hours waived, achieving the major in 28 semester hours. If you have previously studied French, please refer to the Language Placement Guide to determine the appropriate level at which to start.
At least 12 semester hours must be taken in FREN-prefixed courses at PLU.
4-20 semester hours, based on placement
- May include:
- FREN 101: Beginning French (4)
- FREN 102: Beginning French (4)
- FREN 201: Intermediate French (4)
- FREN 202: Intermediate French (4)
- Must include:
- FREN 301: Advanced French (4)
French & Francophone literature, film, history, culture
12-20 semester hours, selected from the following:
- FREN 310: French History, Culture, Society (4)
- FREN 311: Francophone Africa in Global Context (4)
- FREN 403: Topics in French Literature (4)
- FREN 404: Postcolonial Francophone Fictions and Criticism (4)
- FREN 405: French/Francophone Film (4)
- FREN 406: French/Francophone Feminisms (4)
Only one course in French & Francophone literature, film, history, culture in English translation (FREN 203, 204, 205, 206, 210, or 211) may be used toward the major.
- FREN 499: Capstone: Senior Project (4)
French & Francophone Studies majors are strongly encouraged to study in a French-speaking country on a semester program approved by French & Francophone Studies faculty and to explore residence options in the French Wing of the Hong Global Community.