Minor in French & Francophone Studies
20 semester hours from PLU courses, equivalent transfer courses, or approved study away programs, depending on placement.
Students placing into FREN 301 may have 4 semester hours waived to achieve the French & Francophone Studies minor in 16 credits. If you have previously studied French, please refer to the Language Placement Guide to determine the appropriate level at which to start.
At least 8 semester hours must be taken in FREN-prefixed courses at PLU.
4-20 semester hours, based on placement
- May include:
- FREN 101: Beginning French (4)
- FREN 102: Beginning French (4)
- FREN 201: Intermediate French (4)
- FREN 301: Advanced French (4)
- Must include:
- FREN 202: Intermediate French (4)
French & Francophone literature, film, history, culture
0-16 semester hours selected from the following:
- FREN 310: French History, Culture, Society (4)
- FREN 311: Francophone Africa in Global Context (4)
- FREN 403: Topics in French Literature (4)
- FREN 404: Postcolonial Francophone Fictions and Criticism (4)
- FREN 405: French/Francophone Film (4)
- FREN 406: French/Francophone Feminisms (4)
Only one course in French & Francophone literature, film, culture in English translation (FREN 203, 204, 205, 206, 210, or 211) may be used toward the minor.
French & Francophone Studies minors are strongly encouraged to study in a French-speaking country on a semester program approved by French & Francophone Studies faculty and to explore residence options in the French Wing of the Hong Global Community.