In order to meet your informational needs this page has been designed for you to explore independently. Extensive resources are available both on campus and online.
Books & CDs
The counseling staff has compiled a variety of books that are now on permanent reserve in the library. You can view our selection of titles on our books page. In addition to books, several series of Relaxation Response CD’s are available for check out at the PLU Library. In the on-line catalog, go to Course Reserves, and in the “classes” drop-down they are listed under MISC: Counseling Center.
- Anxious to Please: 7 revolutionary practices for the chronically nice
- The Body Keeps the Score: brain, mind, and body in the healing of trauma
- Courage to Grieve
- Emotional Intelligence: why it can matter more than IQ
- It Didn’t Start with You: how inherited family trauma shapes who we are…
- Letting Go of Stress: four effective techniques for relaxation and stress reduction
- Mother’s Who Can’t Love: a healing guide for daughters
- OCD Workbook
- Power of Habit
- Roadmap to Resilience: a guide for military, trauma victims and their families
- When Perfect isn’t Good Enough
- Headspace – Free 10-day trial, then subscription required. Available online or on mobile devices https://www.headspace.com/
- Buddhify – www.buddhify.com One time purchase $2.99 (on Android) or $4.99 (on iOS devices)
- Stop, Breathe, & Think – Available for iOS, Android & Web. Free account, subscriptions available. www.stopbreathethink.org
- Calm – Available for iOS, Android & Web. Free account, subscriptions available. www.calm.com
- The Mindfulness Training App – Only available on iOS. Free download, in-app purchases available.
- Insight Timer – Available for iOS & Android. Free download, in-app purchases available. www.insighttimer.com
- The Mindfulness App – Available for iOS & Android. &1.99 to download, in-app purchases available.
- Mindfulness Meditation from Mental Workout – http://www.mentalworkout.com/store/programs/mindfulness-meditation/ Available for iOS, Android & Web. Free account, subscriptions available.
- Self-help for Anxiety Management (SAM) – Available for iOS & Android. Free app.
- Relax Melodies – http://www.ipnossoft.com/app/relax-melodies/ Available for iOS & Android. Premium & Lite app versions available.
- Take A Break! – Available for iOS & Android. Free account.
- Smiling Mind – http://smilingmind.com.au/ Available for iOS & Android. Free app.
- MyCalmBeat – https://www.mybrainsolutions.com/mycalmbeat Available for iOS, Android & BlackBerry. 90-day free trial, paid subscription required after.
- What do you want to know about depression? – Healthline
- Confidential Depression Screening Test – Mental Health America
- Depression Screening (PHQ-9) – Veterans Affairs
Grief, Loss, or Death Issues
- Gender Alliance of the South Sound
- Gender Spectrum
- Family Acceptance Project
- Ingersoll Gender Center
- Rainbow Center in Tacoma
- Trans Lifeline
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health
- Cedar River Clinics
- Queen Anne Medical Associates, PLLC
- Seattle Area Support Groups & Community Center
- Seattle Counseling Service
Support with Presidential Election Outcome
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- American Association of Suicidology
- National Strategy for Suicide Prevention
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- Youth Suicide Prevention Program
- Suicide Awareness Voices of Education
- Authentic Happiness
- Mind Body Medical Institute – Massachusetts General Hospital
- Need to relax? Take a break to meditate (video)
- Positive Psychology Center
Post Traumatic Stress
- Washington Department of Veterans Affairs (click the link for “All PTSD Counselors”)
Other Miscellaneous Resources