Making the Most out of Our Resources
While drop-in visitors are always welcome in the Writing Center, to be sure that a consultant is available it’s best to make an appointment in advance. There are three ways to set up an appointment before you stop by:
- Go to www.plu.edu/student-success and click “Schedule and Appointment”
- Call us at (253) 535-8709
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (describe your assignment and when you are available)
For shorter pieces of writing, consultations last 30 minutes to an hour. Longer papers are scheduled for an hour and we recommend multiple visits.
Make An Appointment Online!
As part of the new PLU Center for Student Success the PLU Writing Center now accepts appointments via online scheduling. To make an appointment, click below to access the Center for Student Success Website. When you're there click ``Schedule An Appointment``! Easy!Go the Center for Student Success Website
Some tips for getting the most out of PLU Writing Center:
- Bring your assignment description with you.
- Play an active role in the session by asking questions and contributing insights.
- Bring papers well in advance of the due date.
- Keep track of what your consultant says and apply that advice to future papers.
- Use the Writing Center as a time management tool: come in early at the pre-writing stage, and come back with various drafts.
- Utilize our handbooks and writers’ resources, even when you aren’t working with a consultant.
What to Expect:
- While we will not proofread or correct texts, we will work with student writers to help them learn proofreading and editing strategies.
- We will not second-guess the grade a paper will receive.
- Although we will not write papers for students, we will help writers brainstorm for topics, discuss ways to expand or narrow existing topics, help with organization, etc.
- We will not divulge the content of our sessions to anyone other than the writer.
No Call/No Show Policy
Students are responsible for canceling any scheduled appointment they will not be able to attend. You can cancel using the email sent to you by the online scheduler or you can cancel by calling 253-535-8709 or by emailing us at email@example.com. Prompt cancellation will ensure that we can give the scheduled appointment time to another student. Students who are 15 minutes late for a scheduled session will be considered a “no show.” Their scheduled appointment time will be given to another student. Following a third “no call” and “no show” students will be banned from scheduling appointments for the remainder of the semester. They may continue to “drop in” for appointments, but they will no longer be able to schedule time with our staff. Any questions should be directed to the Writing Center Director (Scott Rogers; firstname.lastname@example.org).