The sociology curriculum at PLU is cumulative, such that the skills developed in lower-division courses set the groundwork for the skills to be developed in upper-division classes. We advise students to select their courses with this curricular philosophy in mind. Students are required to complete 40 credit hours in the major. In addition to the required courses, listed below, students also take several electives.
40 semester hours, including:
- SOCI 101: Introduction to Sociology
- SOCI 232: Research Methods
- SOCI 330: Family or SOCI 336: Deviance
- SOCI 496: Sociological Theory
- SOCI 499: Capstone
- STAT 233: Introductory Statistics
- 4 semester hours of a 200-level SOCI course. Choose from 210 (Gender and Society), 240 (Social Problems), or 287 (ST in Sociology).
- 4 semester hours of a 400-level SOCI course. Choose from 410 (Social Stratification), 494 (Gender and Violence), or 495 (Internship).
- Plus: 8 semester hours of SOCI electives not used above. Choose from 210 (Gender and Society), 240 (Social Problems), 287 (ST in Sociology), 330 (Family), 332 (Race and Ethnicity), 336 (Deviance), 378 (Consumption), 387 (ST in Sociology), 391 (Sociology of Religion), 410 (Social Stratification), 494 (Gender and Violence), or 495 (Internship).
Majors and minors are expected to maintain a minimum grade of C- in sociology classes.
Declare your Major
If you would like to declare your major in sociology schedule a meeting with the department chair,
Due to shared core curriculum, students may not double major in sociology and criminal justice. Students may major in sociology and minor in criminal justice.