We are pleased to announce that Anna Marko and Austin Karr have been selected as 2023’s Kurt Mayer Summer Scholars.
Anna and Austin will be invited to share their culminating research projects at this Fall’s Powell-Heller Conference for Holocaust Education.
Congratulations, Anna and Austin!
Kurt Mayer Summer Scholars
The Kurt Mayer Summer Scholars program offers generous financial support for PLU students who complete substantive research projects in Holocaust Studies. Up to 2 fellowships of up to $2500 will be awarded this summer for research, reading, and writing, which must lead to the creations of a major paper on a Holocaust topic.
Who can apply?
PLU students who meet the following qualifications at the time of application:
1. A grade point average at PLU of 3.3 or better;
2. An academic record of interest in the Holocaust (to include the successful
completion of any HGST course).
3. A total of 64 total credit hours toward graduation earned prior to the summer in which the fellowship will be granted;
4. Enrollment at PLU for at least 12 credit hours in the fall semester following the summer in which the fellowship will be granted.
What will successful applicants do?
1. Recipients of the Mayer Student Research Fellowship will produce an original, research-based paper on some aspect of Holocaust and Genocide Studies.
2. Papers must be at least 20 pages in length, excluding notes, bibliographies, and appendices, and completed by September 30 of the year in which the fellowship is awarded.
3. Mayer Fellows will present their research as appropriate, possibly during a class session of HIST 360 and/or at the annual Powell and Heller Family Holocaust Conference.
4. Mayer Fellows may not submit their papers to the Raphael Lemkin Student Essay Contest on Holocaust and Genocide, but may enter that contest with work not based upon their Mayer Fellowship.
How can you apply?
1. Students must identify a faculty member with whom they have spoken to serve as their mentor over the summer.
2. Students should submit electronically a written description of the research project (up to 500 words), an unofficial PLU transcript, your PLU ID number, and the name and email address of your chosen mentor to:
ADMN 222 D
3. Please put “Mayer Summer Research Scholars” in the email subject line.
The deadline for this proposal is 4:00 pm, Monday, April 24, 2023.
For more information, email Dr. Beth Griech-Polelle at firstname.lastname@example.org