Associate Professor of Communication
Office Location:Ingram Hall - Room 131
Curriculum Vitae: View my CV
- Ph.D., Rhetoric and Communication Ethics, University of Denver, 2013
- M.A., University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2009
- B.A., University of Denver, 2007
Areas of Emphasis or Expertise
- Cultural Studies
- Sound Studies
- Cookery: On food and rhetorical production (Editor) (Birmingham: University of Alabama Press 2020) : View Book
- Eckstein, J. "The (Parkland) kids are alright." Communication and the Public Vol. 5, 2020: 26-34.
- Eckstein, J. "Sensing school shootings." Critical Studies in Media Communication Vol. 37, 2020: 161-173.
- Eckstein, J. & Young, A. "WastED rhetoric." Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies Vol. 15, 2018: 274-91.
- Eckstein, J. "The acoustics of argumentation and advocacy." Argumentation & Advocacy Vol. 54, 2018: 261-269.
- Eckstein, J. "Designing soundscapes for argumentation." Philosophy & Rhetoric Vol. 51(3), 2018: 269-292.
- Eckstein and Partlow Lefevre. "Since Sandy Hook: Strategic Maneuvering in the Gun Control Debate." Western Journal of Communication 2016: 225-242.
- Young, A., Eckstein, J. & Conley, D.. "Rhetoric and foodways." Critical/Cultural Communication Studies Vol. 12, 2015: 198-199.
- Eckstein, J. & Young, A. "Cooking, celebrity chefs, and public chef intellectuals." Critical/Cultural Communication Studies Vol. 12, 2015: 205-208.
- Eckstein, J. "Yellow rain: Radiolab and the acoustics of strategic maneuvering." Journal of Argumentation in Context Vol. 3, 2014: 35-56.
- New Investigator Award, Rhetoric and Communication Theory Division of National Communication Association, 2020
- Jackson Fellow, 2020-2021
- Daniel Rohrer Memorial Outstanding Research Award, American Forensics Association, 2017
Dr. Eckstein is an Assistant Professor who teaches classes such as Applied Research, Argumentation & Advocacy, Introduction to Communication, and Gender & Communication. Dr. Eckstein’s research explores argumentation and debate. His work has appeared in Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, The Quarterly Journal of Speech, Western Journal of Communication, Communication Studies, Contemporary Argumentation & Debate,The Journal of Argumentation in Context, Argumentation & Advocacy, and Relevant Rhetoric.
Ruth Anderson Debate 2014