Why should I buy textbooks from the Lute Locker?
The Lute Locker, the official store for all things PLU, teamed with MBS Direct for your course material needs. MBS Direct is the only course material provider that guarantees to have all of the course materials you’ll need for class. All course materials are organized according to your school’s courses and associated with your course schedule to eliminate the possibility of ordering an incorrect book or edition.
MBS Direct provides:
- New & Used Textbooks
- Rental Textbooks
- 24/7 Customer Service
- Guaranteed Buyback Program
- FREE UPS Ground Shipping*
- UPS 2nd Day Air only $15.00*
*Does not apply to materials purchased from the Marketplace
With some exceptions, TEXTBOOKS ARE NOT STOCKED AT THE CAMPUS STORE. The combination of simple online ordering and accurate, on-time shipping means students won’t have to wonder if they’ll have the books they need when class begins.
Here are just a few reasons to shop with the Lute Locker/MBS Direct:
- MBS Direct works directly with PLU to ensure that the exact materials need for your courses are in stock. In many instances, multiple editions of a book exist, and it’s guaranteed that you will receive the exact edition assigned for your course.
- MBS Direct takes Student Financial Aid vouchers and other sites do not.
- Your purchase directly benefits PLU instead of a large, faceless company.
- MBS Direct ships fast! They ship all in-stock items within 24 business hours of finalizing your order, as they want to make certain that you receive your books as quick as possible. For most locations in the continental US, your books from MBS will arrive within a week of your order. Delivery from some competitors can take up to, and sometimes more than one month. Because MBS works directly with PLU, MBS actively works to keep your books in stock.
- MBS Direct offers Guaranteed Buyback (GBB) on thousands of books. With GBB books you know exactly how much you can get in cash back at the end of the semester.
- MBS Direct has dedicated customer service. If you have any issues, you can call, email or chat anytime, 24/7.
What should I know before ordering from MBS Direct?
- If materials are temporarily out of stock, order them now and they will be shipped as soon as they become available.
- Shipping directly to your residence hall or off-campus residence may speed up the process.
- Don’t see your course listed? Check back again, your professor may still be deciding on their materials or has recently submitted them.
When should I order textbooks?
For the best selection, prices and to avoid delays, it’s strongly recommend to order your materials as soon as possible. Many course materials are listed the week of registration. Courses that do not require textbooks will note “No Text Required For This Course”. If you do not see your course listed, check back often; information will be posted soon.
What shipping options does MBS Direct offer?
MBS Direct offers FREE UPS Ground shipping (3-5 Business Days).
A $15.00 UPS 2nd Day Air fee applies for expedited shipping.
Any purchases from the Marketplace will be shipped from other sites and do not apply to shipping options provided by MBS Direct.
What is book buyback?
Our buyback program allows you to sell your textbooks back for cash (provided they are in good condition and have buyback value) at the end of the term. You can look up the value of your buyback by going HERE, then lock in a quote and send your books back using our free pre-paid UPS shipping label. You can get paid via PayPal or check. NO NEED TO STAND IN LINE!
What is guaranteed buyback?
Guaranteed Buyback (GBB) is a great way to know how much cash you can get at the end of the semester when you sell your book back to us. GBB books are marked “Guaranteed Buyback” on the product page and throughout the checkout process. You’ll see your Guaranteed Buyback price, which lets you know up front exactly how much you can get back (provided you return the book on time and in good condition). Once you’ve purchased a Guaranteed Buyback item, you can visit your account to view the return date and value details in your order history.
Once your course has ended, you can either attend the official Buyback Event on campus or submit your book for buyback by going to “Sell Your Textbooks” from the main menu and accepting the Guaranteed Buyback value. From there, it works just like a regular buyback – you’ll print out your packing slip and free UPS shipping label, pack your books, and drop your package at any UPS location. Once your item is reviewed and processed, we’ll pay you via PayPal or check, your choice. Click HERE to learn more.
Will you accept buyback books in any condition?
Because books are resold to other students, MBS does not accept or pay for buyback books with:
- Stains or water damage
- Missing, torn, or loose pages
- Missing, torn, or loose covers
- Excessive writing or marking
- Excessive writing on the edges
- A broken spine
- Torn or damaged binding
A textbook can still be in good condition if it shows signs of general use and wear and tear, such as:
- Some writing or notes
- Highlighting, from a little to a lot
- Rounded or dog-eared corners
- Minor scrapes or scratches
- Faded cover art
- Creased pages
What if MBS Direct does not buy my book back?
You have a couple of options:
- Donate it at the Lute Locker to be considered for PLU’s Free Library
- Try to sell it through another outlet
- Exchange it with a fellow student
- Hold on to it for the next buyback event
- Keep it so future generations can see what a real textbook looked like!
My questions have not been answered. Is there another resource?
Visit MBS Direct’s HELP CENTER