LASR General Manager
Our goal at LASR Student Radio is to represent the tastes and musical diversity of the student body at Pacific Lutheran University and the greater local and global communities. The LASR General Manager is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the station, managing a staff, and acting as the contact point between the University and the Radio Station.
- Hire and train a staff to support the station.
- Supervise staff and oversee DJ accountability and show content integrity.
- Act as a community and university event contact including advertising, PSAs, and paid ads.
- Organize promotional events and arrange for guest speakers. Help with promotion events including set up and take down.
- Purchase equipment.
- Ensure a safe, comfortable environment for DJs and people in the studio. Treat all other staff members, DJs, office supplies and equipment with respect.
- Check firstname.lastname@example.org email account regularly.
- Oversee production of LASR Student CD, LASR gears, and any other collateral material that LASR produces.
- Commit to 4-office-hour per week when physically in the studio and available to help, train, mentor or talk with DJs, community members or any other students.
- Work closely with the faculty advisor and Media Board advisor to address issues concerning LASR, including, but not limited to, equipment, the website, staff and DJ communities in a congruent, consistent and fair manner.
- Time expectation: 8 hours per week including 1 staff meeting per week, 4 office hours per week, and attendance at all Media Board and cross-outlet content meetings.
Duties to University Student Media Board (USMB)
- Enroll in and successfully complete the 4-credit course Communication 427: Media and Leadership for Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 semesters.
- Work closely with the outgoing general manager during the last month of the school year and attend PLU’s Student Leadership Institute (SLI) prior to Fall Semester of the upcoming school year. Submit proposals for budget and staffing to USMB and a proposal for staff organization.
- Administer all aspects of the media, including reporting, writing, layout design printing, advertising, photography, editorial decisions, circulation, production, videotaping, recording, and editing.
- Assume full responsibility for any material published or aired, and address any complaints filed against the media outlet.
- In conjunction with the advisor and University appropriate officials, prepare and issue requests for contractual bids for equipment and service.
- Be responsible for the accuracy, completeness, and overall quality of the media; and in conjunction with the advisor, review the appropriateness of material for publication/airing, including techniques used in gathering information.
- Ensure that the publication/production is properly equipped and that adequate space is provided for production.
- In conjunction with the advisor, maintain professional contact with journalistic organizations outside the campus and with members of printing trades, publishing firms, television productions, radio productions, and similar operations on other campuses. Meet regularly with the other media outlet heads to discuss content and promote cross-platform collaboration.
- Serve as a voting member of USMB.
Be a student enrolled at PLU full time (twelve credit hours or more) at the time of selection with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher. Be enrolled for a minimum of twelve semester hours and maintain a 2.5 grade point average or higher during tenure in office. Have demonstrated past ability to provide leadership and use sound judgment.