The Matrix Editor
The Matrix seeks to facilitate dialogue within the PLU community regarding issues of social justice and provides an outlet for students and faculty to explore the numerous ways in which social justice takes form. The editor is responsible for the production and publication of The Matrix each semester. This includes advertising for submissions, editing, and facilitating the layout and printing of the publication. The editor should be an individual who is passionate about social justice and who seeks to share this passion with others in a constructive and critical manner.
- Collaborate with other student media outlets under a convergence model.
- Develop a theme for fall and spring issues. Advertise accordingly to gain submission materials. Collaborate with clubs, classes, and organizations to solicit submissions. Edit all submissions and meet with submitters as needed.
- Update social media sites consistently with relevant news and information, especially the WordPress blog.
- Develop layout of the publication using Adobe InDesign software (no previous knowledge of this program is required, but individual/s must be willing to learn).
- Facilitate printing and distribution of the publication.
Duties to University Student Media Board (USMB)
- Enroll in and successfully complete the 4-credit course Communication 427: Media and Leadership for Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 semesters.
- Work closely with the outgoing general manager during the last month of the school year and attend PLU’s Student Leadership Institute (SLI) prior to Fall Semester of the upcoming school year. Submit proposals for budget and staffing to USMB and a proposal for staff organization.
- Administer all aspects of the media, including reporting, writing, layout design printing, advertising, photography, editorial decisions, circulation, production, videotaping, recording, and editing.
- Assume full responsibility for any material published or aired, and address any complaints filed against the media outlet.
- In conjunction with the advisor and University appropriate officials, prepare and issue requests for contractual bids for equipment and service.
- Be responsible for the accuracy, completeness, and overall quality of the media; and in conjunction with the advisor, review the appropriateness of material for publication/airing, including techniques used in gathering information.
- Ensure that the publication/production is properly equipped and that adequate space is provided for production.
- In conjunction with the advisor, maintain professional contact with journalistic organizations outside the campus and with members of printing trades, publishing firms, television productions, radio productions, and similar operations on other campuses. Meet regularly with the other media outlet heads to discuss content and promote cross-platform collaboration.
- Serve as a voting member of USMB.
Be a student enrolled at PLU full time (twelve credit hours or more) at the time of selection with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher. Be enrolled for a minimum of twelve semester hours and maintain a 2.5 grade point average or higher during tenure in office. Have demonstrated past ability to provide leadership and use sound judgment. Demonstrate an ongoing interest in advocating for social justice within one’s community.