Proof of Identity
To apply for WA State ID Card and Driver’s License, International Students generally bring the following documents to a Department of Licensing (DOL) Office:
- Valid Passport with I-94
- Valid Student Visa
- Valid I-20
- Social Security Number OR Printout from SEVIS database
If you do not have Social Security Number and would like to get Printout from SEVIS Database, please submit a request for “Support Document for WA ID and Driver’s License Application”.
WA State ID Card
To learn details and to get most updated information about obtaining WA State ID card, please visit this Department of Licensing (DOL) webpage.
The cost of issuing WA State ID card is $55. DOL accepts cash, check, or credit/debit card. A vendor fee will be added if you pay with credit/debit card.
WA State Driver’s License
To learn details and to get most updated information about obtaining WA State Driver’s License, please visit this DOL webpage.
The cost is $81 for a 5-year license. DOL only accepts cash, check, or credit/debit card. A vendor fee will be added if you pay with credit/debit card.
Here is a summary of the steps involved in order to get a WA State Driver’s License:
- Complete a Driver’s License Application.
- Pass a Knowledge Test. The Driver’s Guides booklet is available at this DOL webpage. The Knowledge Test must be completed before you can schedule a Driving Test.
- Pass a vision screening and demonstration of color recognition.
- Pass the Driving Test. If you plan to practice your driving test, you will need to get an instruction permit.
- Have your photograph taken.
- You will receive a temporary license to drive for 45 days. The official driver’s license will be mailed to you within 7-10 days. If you don’t receive your new driver’s license within 30 days, please return to the DOL.
Tacoma Licensing Office
To learn details and to get most updated information about Tacoma Licensing Office, visit this DOL webpage.
Location: 6402 South Yakima Avenue, Suite C, Tacoma, WA 98405
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 8:30AM to 5:00PM
- Thursday 9:30AM-5:00PM
- Saturday, 8:30AM-2:30PM
Directions from Campus by bus: Take #45 at 121st Street South and Park Avenue South (Parkland Transit Center). Get off at South 65th Street and South Yakima Avenue.
Parkland Licensing Office
* Note: This location does not offer driver license testing. Please visit the Tacoma location if you need to take a driving test.
To learn details and to get most updated information about Parkland Licensing Office, visit this DOL webpage.
Location: 2502 112th St E, Suite 200, Parkland, WA 98445
- Monday – Wednesday and Friday 9:00AM to 5:00PM
- Thursday 10:00AM-5:00PM
Directions from Campus by bus: Take #1 from 121st Street and Pacific Avenue towards TCC. Get off at Pacific Ave and 112th Street and walk to 112th Street to catch the #4 bus towards Pierce College – Puyallup. Get off at 112th Street East and Waller.