Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

International Students can participate in training that is directly related to their majors using CPT authorization. CPT authorization must be approved by International Student Services. This opportunity is available for current F-1 students only. Most students use CPT to engage in positions that are paid and located off-campus.

Am I Eligible?  – all of the following criteria must be met:

  • I have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year at a DHS-approved school. (exception exists for graduate students whose program requires an internship within the first year)
  • I am a current PLU student.
  • I am maintaining F-1 student status and academic standing at the time of application.

Is the Training Eligible?  – all of the following criteria must be met:

  • The training is directly related to major area of study.
  • The training is a required component of my class OR provides academic credit.
  • The training is limited to no more than 20 hours a week during Fall and Spring Semester OR may be up to 40 hours a week during Summer Term or official university breaks.

Caution!  Students who are authorized for one year or more of full-time Curricular Practical Training lose their eligibility for Optional Practical Training after graduation.

How To Apply

  1.  Find an internship. Find an internship or job directly related to the field of study and receive a letter from the prospective employer indicating the job title, dates of employment, number of hours of work per week, place of employment, and a brief description of the work.  See the CPT Employer Letter Template for an example.
  2. Register for internship credit. Unless an internship is a required component of an existing class, you will need to enroll in a separate internship course. Bring your employment offer letter to an Advisor in your major field of study and ask for assistance to enroll in an internship course. Complete the CPT Certification Form with the internship course Instructor or Advisor. If no internship course is offered within the academic department, see Career Connections for assistance. 
  3. Meet with ISS staff. Make an appointment to meet with ISS staff and bring your CPT employer letter and CPT Certification Form to the appointment. If you qualify for CPT, ISS staff will update your SEVIS record with part-time or full-time Curricular Practical Training authorization and print a new I-20.