Pacific Lutheran University’s Department of Risk Services provides risk management, insurance and environmental, health and safety services for the university. We strive to create a risk management and safety culture throughout the university and provide resources that allow the campus community to meet academic, co-curricular and operational goals. This includes the operation of both a comprehensive risk management program and environmental, health and safety program.
Risk Management Responsibilities include:
- Procure and administer the university’s insurance policies and programs to include: property, liability, travel, etc. Support filing and processing of insured claims with insurance carriers and third-party administrators.
- Perform risk assessments and analysis in cooperation with other departments or programs.
- Collaborate with university administrators to develop policies and procedures to prevent or minimize losses.
- Serve as a resource and provide consultation to university administrators and faculty on matters related to risk management, insurance and loss prevention.
- Serve as a resource, clearinghouse and provide consultation to student groups on risks associated with clubs, activities, and special events.
- Provide training, written procedures and guidelines to the university within the scope of the risk management and insurance programs.
- Review contracts and agreements to ensure that the university bears only its proportionate share of any liability or claims that may arise from the agreement, and to ensure that appropriate insurance and other protective clauses are in the agreement.
Please visit the Environmental, Health & Safety website to learn more about their operations.