PLU Vehicle Safety Policy
Pacific Lutheran University strives to protect the safety of all community members by authorizing qualified drivers to operate university owned, leased or rented vehicles. The purpose of the PLU Vehicle Safety Policy is to ensure that our drivers have the skills and information that they need to be effective and safe vehicle operators; to communicate driver responsibilities; reduce vehicle accidents, and implement corrective actions for poor driving or repetitive unsafe incidents.
This policy applies to all individuals who operate university owned, leased or rented vehicles, as well as any individuals who are authorized to use personal vehicles on institution business.
- Authorized driver requirements.
- Motor vehicle record checks on all faculty, staff, and student employees where driving is part of their job description or who drive regularly (five or more times a year) on university business.
- Completion of assigned driving training modules.
- Vehicle operations.
- On-campus speed limit 5 mph.
- Pedestrians have the right-of-way on campus.
- Safe backing and parking.
- Adherence to all State and Local laws regarding traffic movement and vehicle operations.
- Insurance requirements
- Trip safety.
- Golf cart operations.
- Vehicle incident response requirements.
ALL DRIVERS MUST REVIEW THE VEHICLE SAFETY POLICY PRIOR TO DRIVING ON PLU BUSINESS.