Reimagine Indians into Medicine (RISE) Summer Academy
The RISE Summer Academy, a 6-week program, will be open to 28 American Indian/Alaskan Native (AI/AN)
Focus of the RISE Summer Academy:
- MCAT Prep: The program will provide a full MCAT course through Kaplan to be taken in the summer program and continuing following the program.
- Supplemental Basic Science Refresher: This coursework will focus on helping RISE Summer Academy students be better prepared to enter medical school. The coursework will be taught by College of Medicine faculty.
- Cultural Engagement and Community Building: This will include meetings with the WSU Health Sciences Spokane Native American Health Office, AIAN clinical faculty, and visit(s) to an area tribal clinic.
- Medical Student Mentors: RISE Summer Academy students will have medical student mentors to help guide them through the program, answer their questions, and provide support and encouragement.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with the first review of applications beginning March 10, 2021 and application closing on April 2, 2021.
- Summer Academy Dates: Monday, June 28 – Friday, August 6, 2021
- Identify as American Indian or Alaska Native
- Have taken the MCAT but not scored well
- Plan to take for the first time in 1-6 months of the Summer Academy end date
- Plan to apply to medical school for either the Entering Year of 2022 or 2023 (application years of 2021 or 2022)
- Transcripts for all college coursework taken. If applying, please send documentation to the Office of Admissions, Student Affairs, and Inclusion at email@example.com
- Cost to attend: FREE
- Program will be held virtually
- Access to and exposure with medical school faculty, leadership, and students
- Coursework and exposure to become a more competitive applicant to medical school
The INMED – RISE program is held in collaboration with:
- Oregon Health and Sciences University School of Medicine
- Northwest Native American Center of Excellence
- Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board
- University of California Davis School of Medicine
- Washington State University Health Science Spokane