- Ph.D., Geosciences, The Pennsylvania State University, 1997
- M.S., Geosciences, The Pennsylvania State University, 1992
- B.S., Geology, Oregon State University, 1985
Areas of Emphasis or Expertise
- Environmental Studies
- Science Education
- Curriculum Development
- Land Use Changes and the Physical Habitat of Streams: A Review With Emphasis on Studies Within the U.S. Geological Survey Federal-State Cooperative Program co-authored with Robert B. Jacobson and Suzanne R. Femmer, (U.S. Geological Survey, 2000) : View Book
- Ramage, J.M., Apgar, J.D., McKenney, R.A., Hanna, W.. "Spatial Variability of Snowmelt Timing from AMSR-E and SSM/I Passive Microwave Sensors, Pelly River, Yukon Territory, Canada." Hydrological Processes no. 12 Vol. 21, 2007: p. 1548-1560.
- Apgar, J.D., Ramage, J.M., McKenney, R.A., and Maltais, P.. "AMSR-E Algorithm for Snowmelt Onset Detection in Subarctic Heterogeneous Terrain." Hydrological Processes no. 12 Vol. 21, 2007: p. 1587-1596.
- Excellence in Teaching Award Minot State University (2002)
- Penn State Earth System Science Fellowship (1993)
- Pennsylvania Mining and Mineral Resources Research Fellowship (1990-1991)
- Beyond War Award collectively awarded to Peace Corps Volunteers (1987)
- Phi Kappa Phi membership , (1985 - Present)