The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) at Pacific Lutheran University is responsible for the oversight and evaluation of the animal care and use program and its components. The principal responsibilities of the committee are to:
- Ensure the humane and ethical treatment of laboratory animals
- Monitor the environment provided for laboratory animals by periodic inspection of the areas in which they are housed
- Facilitate the establishment of mechanisms to protect personnel from occupational health and safety hazards that may be associated with the use and care of animals
- Distribute information regarding approved methods of animal use to individuals who use animals in their research and/or teaching
- Review and investigate all animal concerns
The IACUC committee is composed of six members which includes a veterinarian, research scientists, and community representatives.