How do I apply?
Note: The committee may not select Peace Scholars in 2021, due to the fact that the 2020 scholars were unable to travel to Norway. Please check this page for updates.
Who is eligible to apply to become a Peace Scholar?
- Sophomores and juniors from any discipline are welcome to apply
- Students must be in good academic standing
- PLU Peace Scholars commit to attending all parts of the program (7-week summer program in Norway and Human Rights Forum)
- PLU Peace Scholars also commit to being on campus during at least the Fall semester, and preferably for the entire school year, and are expected to take a leadership role in promoting peacebuilding on campus. Letters to donors who fund scholarships for travel to Norway are due on October 1.
What are the components of the application?
- An essay not to exceed 1,000 words that addresses the following:
Please address the following questions in your essay:
a) What is your understanding of the role of a scholar of peace?
b) Describe one or two past experiences in global and/or local settings that inspire and challenge you to continue to study about peace. What did you learn from those experiences and what questions did they raise for you that you would like to pursue further?
c) Describe what you expect to gain from the Peace Scholars program, personally and academically, and what you expect to bring back to the PLU community as a result of your participation in the program.
Please also indicate whether you will be available to study in Norway during the summer, to attend the Human Rights Forum for 3-4 days in October, and be able and willing to take a leadership role in promoting peace on campus upon your return. Note that the program requires that you are on campus at least for the entire fall semester, and ideally for the entire school year.
- Two recommendations, at least one of which must be from a PLU faculty member. You will digitally sign a FERPA Release Form when you provide the faculty member with the link to the recommendation form.
- An unofficial transcript
- A résumé
- An interview with the Peace Scholars Committee (finalists only)
The entire application, including the letters of recommendation, will be submitted electronically through the Wang Center. The link to the application form is http://studyaway.plu.edu/?go=PeaceScholars.
What is the deadline for application?
All application materials are typically due by February 1.