Making PLU Your Home
This is a full list of suggested things to bring, but not everything on this list is a necessary item. Think about how you live now, and how much you really need to feel at home. Remember that the room you are assigned on campus may be smaller than your room at home and since you are likely sharing it with another student, not every item may fit. Many of the larger items may be things that you would like to share with your roommate. When you receive your roommate’s name, get in touch and see if there are things the two of you can bring to share. Remember to check the amenities list on the Residence Hall page for a list of things that are already provided by PLU. Also, think about purchasing some items second-hand. There are great deals to be found on Craigslist, at yard sales and local second-hand stores. PLU also has a great Free & For Sale Facebook page.
In an effort to help maintain the physical condition of our living communities, as well as to be in compliance with safety guidelines and regulations, PLU has established decoration guidelines. Please see Things to Bring & Decoration Guidelines before planning the look of your room.
Additionally, please consider purchasing some or all of your items online at PLU/Bedding and Bath. Purchases made from this site benefit PLU’s Residence Hall Association. RHA strives to make PLU’s residential experience the best one around and this is one of their most important fundraisers. Thank you!
Make It Your Own
- Bed linens – twin extra long
- Clothes hangers
- Coffee mug, reusable water bottle
- Drinking cups, dishes and silverware
- Poster putty for hanging up decorations (command hooks are great for this!)
- Plastic containers with tight lids for storing snacks, detergent, etc.
- Headphones/ear buds (so your music doesn’t bother your roommate or neighbors)
- Digital music player
- Cell phone and charger
- Desk lamp or bed lamp
- TV/DVD-Player/streaming device (there is common area TV if you don’t bring one)
- Small, clip on type fan
- Hair dryer/flat iron/curling iron
- Alarm clock
- Small refrigerator (5.0 cubic feet or smaller)
- Crates or stacking containers
- Paper towels, glass cleaner
- Sewing kit, scissors, safety pins
- Message board for your door
- Area Rug
- lawn/camp chair or blanket for meeting outside
Good Things to Have
Think about your daily activities and hobbies and bring what you need with you.
- Access to money (checks, debit card, credit card, etc.)
- Key ring
- Sports/recreation equipment (PLU’s Outdoor Recreation Club also has a great rental program for these items)
- Snacks for your room
Keep It Clean
Keep in mind that you’ll be sharing your bathroom and laundry facilities with other students.
- Gloves and face coverings/masks
- Hand sanitizer
- Disinfecting wipes
- Shower shoes (a must!)
- Towels, washcloths
- Soap/body wash
- Shaving cream and razors
- Shower caddy/container for carrying bathroom items
- Facial tissues
- Laundry basket/bag
- Laundry detergent
- Dish soap, sponge
- Cold medicine/pain relievers – can be picked up at Health Center for free if needed
- First-aid kit/supplies – can be picked up at Health Center for free if needed
Stuff for School
You can get this stuff once you’re on campus, but it can sometimes be cheaper to buy it during the back-to-school sales of off-campus stores.
- Computer/laptop or memory stick for computer labs
- Binders, folders
- Writing utensils
- Backpack/Bag for Books
- Day planner
Don’t Bring It
Listed here are a few items that you may not have in your residence hall room.
- Halogen bulbs and/or lamps
- Hotplates, skillets, toaster ovens
- Air conditioners
- Extension cords
- Pets, waterbeds, nail picture hangers
- 3D Printers
Irons, ironing boards and toasters may be stored in student rooms but must be used in the designated common area locations. If you are in doubt about an item you would like to bring, call the Department of Residential Life at 253-535-7200.