Office of Institutional Research
The mission of the Office of Institutional Research at Pacific Lutheran University is to support the achievement of the University mission by providing timely, accurate, and unbiased data and analysis for decision-making, assessment, and strategic planning at all levels of the institution.
Institutional Research provides an important service to many of PLU’s departments, staff and faculty, the intent of which is to contribute to the success of the institution and its students.
What We Do
The Office of Institutional Research (OIR) is dedicated to supporting the planning, management, accreditation, assessment and evaluation of PLU activities at every level. OIR is a central reporting entity for the university, and as such is responsible for fulfilling many of the PLU’s external reporting requirements. OIR’s function also includes collection and dissemination of information and data in response to both internal and external requests.
- OIR supports student success though data-driven analytics to improve student retention, satisfaction, and success.
- OIR provides strategic research for decision support for senior administration and ad hoc research for PLU committees, departments, and individuals.
- OIR produces benchmarks of PLU’s institutional performance against that of peer institutions.
- OIR supports the Data Administration Team to ensure consistent and appropriate data definition; produce public and shareable access to data and reports, and in the development and maintenance of data governance at PLU.
- OIR provides external regulatory compliance and mandated reporting; and serves internal requests for data and reporting
- OIR conducts research and analyses of best practices relevant to PLU’s strategic priorities.
- OIR provides an expert resource to PLU departments, faculty, staff and students on effective research practice.
- OIR provides oversight of and support for PLU’s accreditation efforts.
Institutional Research Ethics
OIR ascribes to the Association of Institutional Research’s Code of Ethics and Professional Practice.
Pacific Lutheran University is committed to engaging and maintaining ethical values and standards when conducting research at the institutional level. The AIR Code of Ethics helps legitimize institutional research, and also serves as a guide to conduct research with integrity and professionally.
OIR has developed its mission and its description of work under the guidelines of the Association of Institutional Research’s Statement of Aspirational Practice for Institutional Research.