Discovery (formerly South Sound) Regional Science and Engineering Fair
2022 Fair Schedule
Deadlines for registration:
9-12 March 4, 2022 End of Day (However please register early)
6-8 March 18 End of Day.
K-5 March 18 End of Day
Please view or download this complete schedule which includes all important dates.
Register for the State Fair. Deadline is March 15. We will forward all of your forms to the State Fair to avoid duplication.
Broadcom Masters: South Sound participants Kevin Shen and Zain Shariff were selected to the Broadcom Masters 300 finalists out of over 1800 students nationwide. Kevin was nominated by South Sound. Zain was nominated by the Washington State Science and Engineering Fair. https://www.societyforscience.org/broadcom-masters/2021-top-300-masters/
AJAS: Kevin Shen and Nidhi Krishna Kumar were nominated by South Sound and accepted to membership in the American Junior Academy of Science (AJAS). They join Smriti Somasundaram who was accepted last year. The academy honors high school fair participants who are doing outstanding research. https://washacad.org/2022-ajas-awardees/
South Sound is Growing
We are increasing numbers and types of awards.
- 2021 – Over 50 specialty awards.
- 2022 – Well over 60, with additional cash awards.
- Increased place awards (1st, 2nd, 3rd and Honorable Mention)
- International fair nominations for 9-12
- Broadcom Masters nominations for 6-8
- American Junior Academy of Sciences Nominations for High School
We are pleased by the progress and are sharing the current list here. However, we are still looking to build this list. If you can donate a specialty award, please do so. All awards will include a certificate which we or the sponsor provide. Awards can carry appropriate names and award criteria. They may be anonymous or attributed to the person, family or organization. If you would like to discuss possibilities, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our mailing address is on the Contacts page. Please look at the list: 2022 Awards
- Historically we included Pierce, Lewis, Mason and Thurston Counties
- We welcome Grays Harbor, Kitsap, Jefferson and Clallam Counties.
- We welcome homeschool, public school, private school, charter school and on-line school participants.
The South Sound STEM Fair Alliance, in partnership with Pacific Lutheran University, continues to sponsor the fair. We look forward to the possibility of returning to some form of in person fair at PLU.
- Our Mission is to encourage students in Science, Technology, Engineering and
- We encourage participants to work on their projects with adults, including family
members, teachers and mentors. We ask that students identify the contributions made
by adults. Historically some STEM fairs downgraded projects for suspected adult
involvement. Discovery does not.
- We are a Washington State non-profit corporation with IRS tax exempt status.
- We are an all-volunteer organization.
- We need volunteers to assist with tasks. We conduct our fair management meetings by
- South Sound STEM Fair Alliance, in compliance with US Law does not discriminate in the
administration of the Discovery Regional Science and Engineering Fair (DRSEF) or any
other activities on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation or preference, national
or ethnic origin, color, disability, marital status, age, or religious belief.
- Pandemic uncertainties again are affecting our fair format.
- 2022 will again be a virtual fair.
- All regional fairs and the state fair in Washington State are virtual for 2022
- The International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) is currently a hybrid in person and virtual fair for 2022. This could change to all virtual depending on conditions. Most Washington state fairs including Discovery (formerly South Sound), will send student(s) to the fair virtually. https://www.societyforscience.org/isef/
- We have been South Sound Regional Science and Engineering Fair for about 22 years.
- Recognizing our wider geography, we are now officially Discovery Regional Science and Engineering Fair
- We will gradually retire the name South Sound as communities become familiar with our new name.
Slides, Not Trifolds
- For 2022 we are requiring a maximum of 12 8.5 x 11 slides. (With some possible extras for 9-12)
- Easier to submit projects
- No trifold boards
- Slides submitted in PDF format
- Details are on Registration Pages of this website.
We are planning to ask participants to upload their forms and projects to our Cloud drive using a link we will provide after registration.
- We remain an all-volunteer non-profit organization
- Fund raising has been challenging during the pandemic
- Most regional fairs around the nation have a fee
- Our largest expense is affiliation with the International Fair (ISEF)
- We receive significant benefits in specialty awards from ISEF, not otherwise available
- Several are for grades 9-12
- A few are for 6-8
- None are for K-5
- Our fee structure for 2022 reflects this allocation.
- Grades K-5 will remain free to enter.
- The fee for Grades 6-8 will be $10.
- The fee for Grades 9-12 will be $30.
- We will email all registrants with payment options.
- Scholarship option:
- Fee will not be a deterrent to fair participation
- Please contact the fair director if you need financial assistance with the registration fee: email@example.com