The Kurt Mayer Student Research Fellowship In Holocaust Studies
The Kurt Mayer Summer Scholars program offers generous financial support for PLU students who complete substantive research projects in Holocaust Studies. Two or more fellowships of up to $2500 are awarded each summer for research, reading, and writing, which must lead to the creations of a major paper on a Holocaust topic.
Who can apply?
PLU students who meet the following qualifications at the time of application:
1. A grade point average at PLU of 3.3 or better;
2. An academic record of interest in the Holocaust (which could include, but is not limited to, having completed HIST 360 at PLU);
3. A total of 64 total credit hours toward graduation earned prior to the summer in which the fellowship will be granted;
4. Enrollment at PLU for at least 12 credit hours in the fall semester following the summer in which the fellowship will be granted.
What will successful applicants do?
1. Recipients of the Mayer Student Research Fellowship will produce an original, research-based paper on some aspect of Holocaust and Genocide Studies.
2. Papers must be at least 20 pages in length, excluding notes, bibliographies, and appendices, and completed by September 30 of the year in which the fellowship is awarded.
3. Mayer Fellows will present their research as appropriate, possibly during a class session of HIST 360 and/or at the annual Powell and Heller Family Holocaust Conference.
4. Mayer Fellows may not submit their papers to the Raphael Lemkin Student Essay Contest on Holocaust and Genocide, but may enter that contest with work not based upon their Mayer Fellowship.
How can you apply?
1. Students should submit electronically a written description of the research project (up to 500 words) and an unofficial PLU transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org, Brenda Murray, Administrative Assistant, Xavier 101 (535-7595).
Please put “Mayer Summer Research Scholars” in the email Subject line.
2. The deadline for this proposal is 4:00 pm on the third Friday of April preceding the summer in which the fellowship will be undertaken.
3. For more information, email Brenda Murray at email@example.com.