PLU’s annual Jazz Under the Stars professional summer concert series is FREE to the public, our gift to our community.
The series, with concerts on Thursday evening is in the outdoor amphitheater of the Mary Baker Russell Music Center on the PLU campus. Bring your lawn chairs and your picnic food. Free coffee, select wine and beers, and snacks for sale are available. The series is sponsored by the PLU music department.
Let me say again that this series is FREE to the public and runs Thursdays for six weeks, 7:00-9:00 p.m. Music faculty member Paul Tegels offers an intermission performance on the world-famous Fuchs pipe organ in our beautiful Lagerquist Hall. There is free coffee every week, snacks for sale, and stargazing after the last three concerts at PLU’s Keck Observatory, weather permitting, courtesy of the PLU physics department and the Tacoma Astronomical Society. Speaking of weather, JUTS concerts are NEVER cancelled due to weather. On days with inclement weather, concerts will be held in Lagerquist Concert Hall of the Mary Baker Russell Music Center.
The lineup for the 2017 series is:
- July 6: Ranger and the Re-Arrangers (Eclectic string swing band)
- July 13: Entremundos Quartet (Brazilian Jazz w/Adriana Giordano)
- July 20: Kareem Kandi Trio (Tacoma jazz saxophone star)
- July 27: Anjoli Natarajan (Olympia Brazilian jazz vocalist)
- August 3: Ana Velanova (Seattle jazz vocalist)
- August 10: Jazz Sound Trio (PLU Jazz Faculty)