Military Dependents

Dependents of active duty military members using transferred Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® benefits may be eligible for FREE tuition at PLU.


Information provided by U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs

Family members must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) and be eligible for benefits at the time of transfer to receive transferred benefits.

The option to transfer is open to any member of the armed forces active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted who is eligible for the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®, and meets the following criteria:

  • Has at least six years of service in the armed forces (active duty and/or Selected Reserve) on the date of approval and agrees to serve four additional years in the armed forces from the date of election.
  • Has at least 10 years of service in the armed forces (active duty and/or Selected Reserve) on the date of approval, is precluded by either standard policy (by Service Branch or DoD) or statute from committing to four additional years, and agrees to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed by such policy or statute.
  • Is or becomes retirement-eligible and agrees to serve an additional four years of service on or after Aug. 1, 2012. A service member is considered to be retirement-eligible if he or she has completed 20 years of active federal service or 20 qualifying years as computed (pursuant to section 12732 of title 10 U.S.C.).
  • Transfer requests are submitted and approved while the member is in the armed forces.

Questions about eligibility and how to move forward with this process? Please contact PLU VA Certifying Official, Neshell Chabot, at 253-535-7161 or

For further information, you can visit the Department of Veteran Affairs website.


Learn more about the full-tuition Yellow Ribbon Scholarship.


Ready to apply to transfer to PLU? The application is free!


Are you a high school senior ready to apply to PLU? The application is free!