DNP applications are accepted at any time throughout the year on a rolling basis. However, to enhance your potential for admission and make yourself eligible for financial assistance, we recommend you submit the application by the following application priority dates:
- Priority Date #1 : December 1
- Priority Date #2 : January 15
- Final Deadline: May 1 (9:00pm Pacific Time)
Applications submitted after the application priority dates will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- BSN to DNP applicants – start in Summer (June)
- Post-master’s to DNP applicants – May start in Summer or Fall based upon analysis of previous coursework
Applications are processed through NursingCAS, a nationwide centralized application service for graduate programs. All official transcripts must be submitted to NursingCAS, not PLU.
Follow the steps below to submit your application. If you have questions, contact the Admission Application Specialist.
(Application portal for Summer 2022 is now open)
- Create your application account via the online application portal (preferred browsers are Google Chrome or Firefox)
- Select the following items to start
- Term – The term when you plan to begin the program
- Institution – Pacific Lutheran University
- Program – the nursing program you are apply for
- Complete all required application questions.
- Complete Nursing licensure information and questions
- Provide two references via the online application portal.
- This will send an email notification to your recommenders to follow a link and submit their letters of recommendation. References may be academic or professional.
- Upload professional resume
- Upload statement of professional goals:
- Please address the following questions:
- How will the Doctor of Nursing Practice meet your career goals, either a Family Nurse Practitioner or Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner meet your career goals?
- What knowledge do you have of the NP role you are applying for?
- Have you had any experience with the role and what aspects of the role appeal to you professionally?
- The essay should be two pages, double-spaced, 12pt font, Times New Roman. Please upload your statement in a Microsoft Word or PDF file.
- Please address the following questions:
- Pay the nonrefundable application processing fee.
Official Transcripts (for US and English-Canadian Schools)
- Official transcripts must be sent to NursingCAS from all US and English-Speaking Canadian institutions you listed in the College Attended section of your application. (For international and French Canadian transcripts see the next section.)
- PLU graduates also need to submit PLU transcripts to NursingCAS.
- See NursingCAS instructions for sending official transcripts.
Credential Evaluation (for coursework outside the US)
If you attended a school or earned your degree outside of the United States, you are required to submit your coursework to World Education Services (WES) for a course-by-course US equivalency report. This report should then be sent directly to NursingCAS from the evaluation service along with the official transcripts sent by the schools. Visit World Education Services (WES) website to follow its instructions and arrange for your documents to be delivered to WES.
Sending Transcripts Electronically (for US and English-Canadian transcripts)
- NursingCAS only accepts electronic transcripts from Credentials Solutions, Parchment, and National Student Clearinghouse. If your school does not offer either of these services, your transcript must be sent by mail. NursingCAS cannot accept transcripts sent via email.
- When selecting the recipient, choose Educational organization, and then select NursingCAS.
- Include your full NursingCAS ID number when entering the NursingCAS mailing address.
- See NursingCAS instructions for sending electronic transcripts
Sending Transcripts by Mail
Download and print the Transcript Request Form under each school you listed in the College Attended section of your application. Send the Transcript Request Form to your school.
Your registrar should mail your paper transcript to the following address:
P.O. Box 9201
Watertown, MA 02471
In addition to the documents listed in the above sections, please also submit the following materials:
- Credential Evaluation – If you attended a school or earned your degree outside of the United States, you are required to submit your coursework to World Education Services (WES) for a course-by-course US equivalency report. This report should then be sent directly to NursingCAS from the evaluation service along with the official transcripts sent by the schools. Visit World Education Services (WES) website to follow its instructions and arrange for your documents to be delivered to WES.
- English translation is also required if the documents are in a language other than English. Translation must be provided by a university, government official, organization, or a certified translation service, example: American Translators Association.
- Proof of English proficiency
- Submit official TOEFL or IELTS score report through NursingCAS. Score requirements can be found here.
- This requirement is waived for registered nurses who hold current United States RN licensure.
In order to be sent a form I-20, admitted international students must:
- Pay the enrollment deposit (if admitted)
- Submit a Passport picture page
- Submit the Declaration of Finance form and Proof of financial support dated within 12 months. English translation is required if the documents are not issued in English.
This is not a part of the online application. You will be invited to complete the background check via CastleBranch if admission is offered. School of Nursing will provide you the instructions at that time.