Refund Information

Direct Deposit forms must be completed online, printed and submitted to the PLU Business Office, Hauge Bldg, Room 110.

  • No handwritten forms accepted.
  • Do not submit by email.

Parents: The refund can only be payable to the borrowing parent if you have a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan. Only the borrowing parent can set up the Direct Deposit (ACH) into their bank account. Indicate your preference to whom the check is to made payable (i.e. to parent or to student) on the PLUS loan application. To change the recipient of the PLUS loan refund, complete and submit Parent Federal Title IV Proceeds Authorization 

If you have a credit balance, or excess funds on your account then you may request a refund at any time. Refunds are generated by an online Refund Request Form which requires your ePass login. Refunds are processed weekly and can be picked up in the Office of Student Financial Services with picture ID or mailed to your permanent address.

NOTE: The refunds for each semester are stated below. Financial aid funds will disburse to your student account before the beginning of each semester, provided all disbursement requirements are completed. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure disbursement requirements have been satisfied and prepare for their living expenses before their refund is available.

Refunds will be processed weekly. All forms submitted to the Office of Student Financial Services by 4:00 p.m. on Monday will be available that Friday.

Go to your Banner Self-Service account. If you see a Refund on your account by Thursday, then your refund would be available by Friday.

Students contracted with Tuition Management Systems (TMS), may occasionally see a credit balance on their PLU student account. This can occur because the contracted amount for each term/semester is credited to the student account as a lump sum for the semester and not each monthly payment. A refund cannot be processed until all payments have been made for the semester. You can view the status of your payments by checking with Campus Commerece online or calling 800.609.8056.

The Title IV Federal Proceeds Authorization allows for payment of charges such as book advances, interest charges, library charges, parking, health services charges, etc from your Federal proceeds. If this authorization is not signed only tuition, class fees, room & meals are covered.

If an account credit balance results from Federal proceeds and the Title IV Federal Proceeds Authorization has not been signed, the student is responsible for any charges not covered by the Federal funds.  These may include, book advances, interest charges, library fines, parking, and other additional charges that may occur on your student account.

If you have an agency that pays all or part of your PLU expenses, they are considered a Third Party Payee. The Third Party is not billed for your expenses until after the tenth day of classes in a semester you are registered. The credit balance displayed on your student account will not be available until after the Third Party pays the university.


Withdrawal From a Single Course

Tuition and fees will not be refunded for single course withdrawals occurring after the last day to add/drop without fee for a semester/term. These dates are listed in the important dates area on the Office of the Registrar webpage. If the student does not wish to continue a course after the add/drop period, the student must withdraw from the course by completing the Course Withdrawal form on the Registrar’s website.

Full Withdrawal

Students who wish to withdraw from all courses must submit the Withdrawal form, which can be found in the Documents section of the Center for Student Success website.

If a student withdraws with an owing balance, the balance is due immediately. A financial hold will be placed on the account upon notification of withdrawal until the balance is paid in full.

Medical Withdrawal

Students may petition to withdraw completely from the University for a specific term for medical reasons. The student must complete a Medical Withdrawal Petition, provide written evidence from a physician and a personal explanation to the dean of students. The petition and the accompanying materials must be completed and submitted before finals week for the specific term and in no case later than the last day of class in the specific term. If granted, the notation of WM in lieu of grades will appear on the student’s transcript. Physician clearance is required prior to re-enrollment. For more information contact the dean of students at 253.535.7159 or

    • Fall & Spring Tuition and Fees
      • 100% refund on or before tenth day of class (effective fall 2022)
      • Tuition refunds prorated on a daily basis beginning the eleventh day of class until more than 60% of the semester has elapsed
      • No tuition refunds once more than 60% of the semester has elapsed
    • Summer, Fall, J-Term & Spring Housing and Meal Plans
      • Housing refunds prorated on a daily basis
      • Meal plan refunds prorated on a weekly basis
Policies and Procedures Relating to the Return of Title IV and Institutional Financial Aid Funds if a Student Withdraws from the University

The University calculates and returns Title IV funds according to Federal Title IV policy 34CRF 668.22. The amount of Title IV funds (other than Federal Work Study) that must be returned to the Title IV programs is based solely on the length of time the student was enrolled before withdrawing. This policy is effective for complete or full withdrawal from a semester in which a student receives Title IV federal funds. If a student receives a tuition refund due to completely withdrawing from the University, all PLU gift aid will be canceled and removed from the student’s account.

For Fall and Spring Semester only, if a student withdraws before more than 60% of the semester has elapsed, a percentage of Title IV funds will be returned to the federal program based on the length of time the student was enrolled before withdrawal. After 60% of the semester has elapsed, the student is considered to have used all aid received for the semester. The return of Title IV funds is dependent upon the date a student withdraws during the semester or the last date of attendance.

Withdrawal date is defined as one of the following:
    • The date the student began the withdrawal process; the date the student otherwise provided the school with official notification of the intent to withdraw; or
    • For the student who does not begin the University’s withdrawal process or notify the school of the intent to withdraw, the midpoint of the payment period or period of enrollment for which Title IV assistance was disbursed (unless the university can document a later date); if attendance is taken, the withdrawal date is determined from the attendance records.
The University will:
    • Determine date of withdrawal
    • Calculate the percentage of aid deemed to have been earned by the student
    • Calculate the percentage of aid not earned by the student, which must be returned to federal programs
Order of Return of Title IV Funds

If the withdrawal date results in a percentage of Title IV aid not earned by the student, then return of Title IV aid will occur in the following order:

    • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans (other than PLUS loans).
    • Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford loans.
    • Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans
    • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans
    • Federal Pell Grants
    • Federal SEOG Grants
    • TEACH Grant
    • Iraq Afghanistan Service Grant for which a return is required.
    • Other assistance under this Title for which a return of funds is required
  • Please note that Tuition Assistance Program funds due to Military Service are also returned based on the percentage of the term completed, up to and including 60% of the payment period.
Procedures for Obtaining a Refund Upon Full Withdrawal from the University
    • Student submits Withdrawal form.
    • Financial Aid processes the student withdrawal request according to the Federal Title IV policy 34CFR 668.22, revising aid in accordance with federal policy.
    • Tuition adjustment processed, if applicable.
    • Examples of the Return of Title IV Funds if a student withdraws are available in the Office of Student Financial Services.

Note: Please be aware that withdrawing from the University can adversely affect what is owed to the University by the student. A tuition adjustment is applied to the student account, but aid is also adjusted, sometimes creating a larger owing balance. Students should check with the Office of  Student Financial Services to determine the effect a withdrawal will have on their student account.

Last Modified: June 27, 2017 at 7:57 pm