Terms and Conditions

As a recipient of  financial aid (scholarships, grants, student loans, and work study programs) at Pacific Lutheran University, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:

There are no automatic renewals of need-based financial aid. You must apply for financial aid each year by either submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or if you are an undocumented Washington resident, by submitting the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA).

Renewal of non-need based financial aid is done by the Office of Student Financial Services.

Failure to accept the Offer of Financial Aid and/or submit all other required documents by the specified date may result in the cancellation of aid.

Federal Direct Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) amounts do not reflect origination fees deducted by the federal government. All federal Direct and Nursing loans require you to complete an online promissory note and loan entrance counseling session.

The total of all financial aid (scholarships/grants, loans, work study) for the academic year may not exceed your financial aid budget (cost of attendance) for that given academic year if you are receiving any need-based aid (any fund with an asterisk * in its name)

You are required to report to the Office of Student Financial Services any additional scholarships, grants, or loans not shown on the Offer of Financial Aid.

You must report any change in permanent address, enrollment status, or financial information previously reported on your FAFSA (or WASFA). If any change occurs at any time during the academic year, your financial aid offer will be reviewed to determine if a revision is necessary. Your financial aid will always be impacted if you drop below half time or withdraw.

All funds offered must first go toward payment of direct educational expenses as reflected on your student account (e.g. tuition, fees, on-campus housing and food).

To receive PLU gift assistance, full-time status must be maintained (at least 12 credit hours per semester). A repeated course can be used to meet this requirement only ONCE.  PLU gift assistance will be canceled if at any time your tuition for the semester is reduced below the full-time 12-17 credit block price.

PLU scholarships and grants are available for fall and spring semesters only, with the exception of the Yellow Ribbon Matching Grant.

Scholarship renewal requires that you meet GPA requirements as specified in the Financial Aid Handbook or the Pacific Lutheran University catalog.

In order to continue receiving financial aid, you must be making satisfactory academic progress. Minimum grade point average and credit load requirements, as well as maximum terms of eligibility are outlined in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Undergraduate Students or Graduate Students

A work study award provides an opportunity for employment for eligible students to potentially earn pay checks totaling up to the amount specified on the Offer of Financial Aid for the academic year.

Should you withdraw from all of your classes, your financial aid may be adjusted according to a federally prescribed formula. The adjustment may include returning loan proceeds to the Federal Direct Loan program that paid for your initial university balance, causing you to have an owing balance on your account. It is recommended that you meet with a student financial services specialist prior to withdrawing from the university.

For additional information, see the Withdrawal and Refund Policy.

You agree that the materials contained in your financial aid file become the property of Pacific Lutheran University.

Changes in eligibility or terms of assistance for federal, state, private programs, or university funding may occur without prior notice.

The Pacific Lutheran University Office of Student Financial Services reserves the right to review, modify, or cancel financial aid offers at any time on the basis of information affecting your eligibility. This includes, but is not limited to changes in your financial, marital, residence, academic status or standing, or U.S. citizenship status, or changes in the availability of federal, state, private, or university funds. Offers also may be modified based on disciplinary action taken against you or on the discovery of processing errors.

Revisions to your aid award for any of the above circumstances could modify your student account owing balance.

As a Recipient of Washington State Aid – Conditions of Award

The State of Washington is offering you financial assistance to help support your education expenses. Please visit www.opportunitypathways.wa.gov to receive more information about financial aid, scholarships, work study, and student loans.

In order to receive this financial assistance you will need to comply with the following conditions. If you have questions or find that you cannot comply with these conditions, please contact your institution’s financial aid office.

You do not owe a repayment to any federal or state grant or scholarship nor are you in default on a state or federal student loan.

You must meet the minimum eligibility requirements for the program(s) awarded.

If you do not attend or if you withdraw from your classes, you may owe a repayment of all or part of any state grant or scholarship you have received.

The offer of this financial assistance is subject to, and conditioned upon, the availability of funds. Washington Student Achievement Council and the institution through which the grant, scholarship, or work study is awarded, reserve the right to withdraw, reduce, or modify the awards due to funding limitations or due to changes in circumstances which affect your eligibility for the program(s).

You must maintain academic progress standards following your institutions policies for state aid programs. You must not pursue a degree in theology or, if you are a state grant or scholarship recipient, hold a bachelor’s degree.

You may choose to voluntarily make financial contributions to Washington Student Achievement Council in recognition of the assistance that you received. All voluntary contributions will be used to provide financial assistance to other students. Please contact finaid@wsac.wa.gov for more information.