Major in Hispanic Studies
A minimum of 36 semester hours beyond HISP 201, including:
Language and Composition
8 semester hours of Spanish language and critical writing for second language or heritage learners
- HISP 202 or 252 (4)
- HISP 301 or 351 (4)*
Introduction to Literary and Cultural Studies
12 semester hours
- HISP 325: Introduction to Hispanic Literary Studies (4)
- HISP 321: Iberian Cultural Studies (4)
- HISP 322: Latin American Cultural Studies (4)
Advanced Literary, Linguistic, and Cultural Studies
12 semester hours, selected from the following:
- LTST 341: Latino/a/x Experiences in the U.S. (4)**
- LTST 441: U.S. Latino/a/x Literary and Cultural Studies (4)**
- HISP 401: Introduction to Hispanic Linguistics (4) OR HISP 403: Advanced Spanish (Study Away) (4)
- HISP 423: Special Topics in Iberian Literatures & Cultures (4)
- HISP 433: Special Topics in Latin American Literatures & Cultures (4)
4 semester hours
- HISP 499
*Students placing at the 301/351 level must take one additional elective course to earn 36 credits.
**Latino Studies courses are taught in English. No more than one course taught in English may count towards the major.
Majors are strongly encouraged to pursue at least one semester of study in a Spanish-speaking country on a program approved by the Hispanic Studies faculty. Majors may not normally fulfill the requirements for the major through the election of 300-level courses during the senior year.
To remain in the Hispanic Studies major, students must maintain a 2.50 overall grade point average (GPA) and maintain a 2.50 GPA in all Hispanic Studies courses required for the major or the minor.