Select and answer one question each from Part A and Part B. Type your answers in a Word
Document and attach below. You must include your full name and email
address on the top left corner of your essay.
As you write, please keep in mind that faculty
members are looking for essays that illustrate your critical thinking skills, which are a key component of the International Honors Program.
Part A: Answer one of the following two options in no more than 400 words.
1) Most of the classes you will take in the university focus on particular methods of learning about a topic: in economics, you will use economic methods; in history, historical methods. The International Honors Program (IHON) is different. In IHON, you will explore topics and questions using a variety of different methods, and see these topics through a variety of perspectives, such as through the lens of different cultures and times (the England of Shakespeare's time, Aztec Mexico, ancient Mesopotamia), and different media (art, literature, historical documents, philosophical writings, music, religious writings). Please explain why this approach to learning would appeal to you.
2) We often associate patience, persistence, commitment and the willingness to take risks with physical activities like mountain climbing or epic hikes -- but rarely with intellectual pursuits. In the International Honors Program, however, you will be required to sit with books for a long time, persist in reading them even when they might not at first make sense, and risk your own ideas in discussions.
Consider an instance when you have had to exhibit one of these qualities -- patience, persistence, commitment, or the willingness to take risks -- in an intellectual pursuit like reading, writing, composing, thinking, or speaking. (Alternately, consider an instance in which you feel you exhibited insufficient patience, persistence, or commitment, or found that you were unwilling to take a risk.) Describe that experience and reflect on what it might have taught you.
Part B: Select one of the following three options and answer it in no more than 400 words.
1) Teh brian hs eth pacacity to order find inwith dsordr. Describe a time when you found order within disorder.
2) What international or historical mystery do you not want solved?
3) What role do emotions have in scientific research?